MTS Forum Forum Index
Discussion forum for Synergy, Egnater & Randall MTS Amps & Modules

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

THE FUTURE isn't NOW
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Rossness
Lynch Box

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:40 am    Post subject: THE FUTURE isn't NOW Reply with quote

Today, I was able to taste the future. Frankly, The future tasted kind of bland. It was overly hyped and overpriced.The future I'm talking about was the Kemper amp profiler. Some people love it and good for them. To me, it sounded like an overpriced computer pug-in amp simulator. For $500, maybe it was a cool toy, but for close to $3k, as New Yorkers would say, "Forgetaboudit". As far as modeling goes, I kept thinking how my old MTS was worlds better and how my other amps were worlds better too.

I thought most of the high gain amps sounded pretty much the same with no real variety between them. The clean amps didn't have that sparkle that clean amps are known for. I also wasn't able to find much crunch. The Kemper I played on had a bunch of Amp Factory profiles downloaded to it. I was advised that They make good profiles. Still, I wasn't impressed. Out of all the profiles I tried, I thought the three that stood out were a MK II, Ac30, and a HiWatt. Everything else was kind of meh.

I tried the kemper because I'm moving to an area where I can't blast my tunes anymore and thought it would solve the volume issue. I guess it looks like a two notes torpedo is in my future. Anyhow, I just wanted to relate my experience that the kemper isn't all its cracked up to be.

2 RM100's with Salvo Stonerverb, Cammerock, and MarkUS, EVH 5153, TC Electronic BG250, Kemper

WTB: Salvation Terrier
kc2eeb
Lynch Box

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject: Other Gear Reply with quote

Yep
goldtop
RM20

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting write up. I've not yet tried one in person.

The Rossness wrote:
I guess it looks like a two notes torpedo is in my future.

Well... that's another digital solution, albeit one that uses your existing rig. It may sound fine, I'd hope it does. But you can also base your solution around an analogue solution - like the tried and tested Palmer or H&K RedBox/etc devices (etc).

The problem I have with digital devices in a live signal chain is that they can and do mess with timing, and introduce a disconcerting delay between what your fingers do and what your ears hear. For me, that's as bad as poor tone/response/dynamics.
lintycreep
RM100

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rossness, what were you playing the Kemper through, a cabinet or via PC speakers/monitors? I've been wondering about this myself for sometime. Do the people that swear by them mainly use it for recording?
The Rossness
Lynch Box

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lintycreep wrote:
Rossness, what were you playing the Kemper through, a cabinet or via PC speakers/monitors? I've been wondering about this myself for sometime. Do the people that swear by them mainly use it for recording?

I played it at Calistro music in CT. It was a studio. Craig, the owner of the studio was more than accommodating. I'd wholeheartedly recommend him. I had contacted another dealer and was told they didn't do demos of the kemper. I asked Craig if I could come in for about 45 mins to try the amp and he accommodated without a problem. I had brought my own sony $30 headphones, but the studio owner lent me a pair of high end headphones to test it out with.

The orange amps on the kemper didnt sound anywhere close to my Salvation module or the Rockerverb I used to have. The same was the case with the 5153's. There were 2 5153 profiles on the kempmer, but they didn't really capture the tone on mine. I thought the marshall tones were lackluster. There were a few EVH plexi type tones, and honestly thay were nothing special either. Rob's Grailtone was much better. Actually I'd like to pick another one of those up someday.

Look, If modded MTS modules cost $100 a pop and the amps came with active technology to emulated speakers like the torpedo live, MTS would be a force to be reckoned with.

2 RM100's with Salvo Stonerverb, Cammerock, and MarkUS, EVH 5153, TC Electronic BG250, Kemper

GtrGeorge!
Lynch Box

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still using my MTS gear and...its still KICKED Holy ass at the last gig I did.
THERE IS NOTHING BETTER.
GtrGeorge
maxxstock
RM100

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"THERE IS NOTHING BETTER"

+1
L82theParty
Donating Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:24 pm    Post subject: Kemper Reply with quote

MTS and Modded Mods....Nothing better for live sound !!!!!!
sschultz5178
RM20

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what the Kempers are good for are the touring acts. Much less equipment to lug around. In most live senarios nobody but other guitarists are even going to realize it.

However, I agree nothing yet beats a hundred year old vacuum tube technology Very Happy
unearth
RM20

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard that the Kemper is advertised as a profiler so not really a modeling amp like a AxeFX. Which i think it means it gives you a close representation of the amp without much ability to mess with the sounds. I could be wrong.

I have a eleven rack which I love for the $300 its cost me. I under stand that the Kemper gives you so many amps, but really for $3K you could buy a few real amps 2nd hand.
The Rossness
Lynch Box

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unearth wrote:
I've heard that the Kemper is advertised as a profiler so not really a modeling amp like a AxeFX. Which i think it means it gives you a close representation of the amp without much ability to mess with the sounds. I could be wrong.

I have a eleven rack which I love for the $300 its cost me. I under stand that the Kemper gives you so many amps, but really for $3K you could buy a few real amps 2nd hand.

Honestly, I have yet to play an axe. I tried the DV mark Multiamp and thought that one sounded pretty cool.

Mattfig
Donating Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well guys, I'm starting to use a Kemper for live playing in the coming months....I'm so tired of the MTS (Muscular Tearing System) live and not that the Kemper is that great but most people can't tell live and my back thanks me...

For studio use I will always be MTS and tube amps...But the time has come to dip back into 0s and 1s for me too...

Kemper Profiles -
www.mattfig.com
ned
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt- I used a GSP1101 live for years instead of my Mod50. Constantly got compliments on my tone. Most guitar players can't tell other than there is no amp on stage.
Personal Web Page
Mattfig
Donating Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ned wrote:
Matt- I used a GSP1101 live for years instead of my Mod50. Constantly got compliments on my tone. Most guitar players can't tell other than there is no amp on stage.

So many factors in there that a great amp is unnecessary in most applications....I find the Kemper to be realistic enough for me to be happy and again, it's only 14lbs!

The GSP1101 is a cool unit. I have one but never used it on its own....Perhaps I should give that a go too....

Kemper Profiles -
www.mattfig.com
isolated1523
RM50

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent the last 6 months gigging with just my GSP1101 direct to the board, monitored with IEMs. Always got compliments on my tone, and couldnt beat carrying around a case with just wireless units and GSP lol.

-Adam
Current: GSP1101/Tech21 MidiMoose/Senn IEMs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTS Forum Forum Index -> Other Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: