Tubes

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpitfireMusic

Reaction score
So I'm about to place a decent sized tube order and wanted to know what you guys liked in your modules/amps

I'm using the Egnater mod50 head running to an Egnater hybrid (open/closed back) birch 2x12 cabinet loaded with creamback neo speakers and am planning on trying ruby kt66 power tubes, a JAN GE5751 for PI, and a Mullard CV4004 for the v1. I'll probably leave the effects loop alone since I don't really use it.

I'm planning on Ruby 12ax7 AC5 HG for the cathode followers but what do you guys like for the other spot? Blackface and JTM modules if that helps.

I'm getting Mullard cv4004 for v1 and v2, Mullard 12ax7 pi, and JJ el84 for my vox ac30 loaded with alnico blue and heritage g12h-55 speakers.

KT77 made my RM50 sound awesome compared to other tubes. It gave it a chewy EL34 sound but with more clarity and harmonics

I've always wanted to try TAD tubes. They have a 6L6 that has been compared to old GE black plates. it;s the next 6L6 I buy.

other than that, Electro Harmonix covers some good ground in pre and power tubes for reasonable money. I've always liked their tubes

Yeah I've also considered the kt77 tubes for it perhaps I'll look into a set of those as well

My tube guru suggested ruby in the cathode follower and JJ for the other slot but do I go standard or gold pin and I see JJ makes a few different 12ax7 variations.

no idea. I've never sprung extra for gold. I tend to stick to the best reviews/least money ratio without getting junk. that said, there's no guarantee these days that they'll last too long. All my pairs seem to end up mismatched before to long but most sound really good.

Tung Sol have always performed well as pre's

Tube Store or Tube Depot have lots of writing on all of them.

yeah I'm going through valve queen for this order and may even have to get some of the preamp tubes through eurotubes or another dealer as my order is exceeding her current inventory on preamp tubes

I definitely don't need to invest in anything crazy I just want stuff that sounds decent and doesn't break the bank.

I did a comparison video a while back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEPSaS76KBk

Personally I found the kt66s to be a little thin but I really like KT88s/6550s.

Ruby EL34BHTs are my go to el34.

kylendm said:
... I really like KT88s/6550s...

Yep. If you haven't tried KT88s/6550s then you owe it yourself to give them a go. They are the perfect output tube where you want to get a variety of sounds from your modules without boxing yourself into either the EL34 or 6L6 route. Best of both worlds IMHO. The only downside is the increased power handling will mean you are further from output tube breakup. If that's your thing, then a power soak etc. will be the go.

I think you are right on the Ruby tubes withmittens but the ones I looked at were definitey chinese both were from the Shuguang factory but they came as a suggestion and I trust the valve queen on tubes typically. Never been steered wrong by Laura.

I think I'm likely going to go with her for the Ruby KT66 power tubes, Mullard CV4004 for V1 in the RM50, and the Ruby 12AX7 AC5 HG for the cathode follower position in my two stock modules I'll be using (and may be keeping stock forever, haven't decided yet which are a Blackface and JTM).

I have a JAN GE5751 that I picked up on ebay that had tested close to like new and picked up for a great deal so that one will likely be the phase inverter in the RM50.

I'm likely going to be getting the other module preamp tubes from Eurotubes I'm going to take the plunge and try the gold pin types for the Blackface and JTM modules as I am definitely after fat, thick, rich, smooth, etc type of tones from these modules as I'm hoping to compliment the brighter, chimey character of my Vox AC30C2 with the RM50 and Egnater Tourmaster 212x. They are telling me the gold pins do have a noticeable sonic difference and it's that they are thicker, smoother, etc sounding. Just trying to decide if I want the traditional ECC83S (which is more balanced), the ECC803S (which is a little more upper mid forward and has a more natural presence/chime in the highs), or the ECC83MG (which falls between the other two and are a little cleaner and less dense).
I'm leaning toward trying the ECC83MG in the blackface and an ECC803S in the JTM. Probably just get a couple of the normal ECC83S to have around since I'll be getting some modules modded eventually and just in case my "experimental" preamp tubes don't float my boat.

Will report back once I get em all in and get some playing time after the install.

I didn't mean to imply that Ruby were not good tubes because they're re-branded. A lot of people trust that place and a lot of people like Ruby and Chinese tubes.

nothing wrong with any of that. I still have my original Ruby set that shipped with my Rm50. solid tubes

best of luck

that's an incredibly helpful video I appreciate it Fig hope all is well with you

I'm definitely thinking I'm on the right track at the moment with the KT66 since they are kind of a britishy sounding 6L6 and I'm kinda going for that vibe.

Looks like my other selections seem to be on the right track since you're also using a 5751 phase inverter.