RM20 Modding Question

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lsmoore98

Reaction score
I have an RM20 that I love to use. In the past I have seen that there are some modifications that can be made. I seem to remember Tony at Salvation modding one and I recently saw the one for sale that had been moded for dual channel use Egnater modules. I would be interested in finding out the following:

1. Who in the US is currently doing mods on the RM20
2. What kind of mods are available
3. Anyone who has had their RM20 modded, could you share what you had done and how it turned out for you?

Thanks in advance.

Scott

Talk to Rob at Jaded Faith. He can tell you the possibilities.
The mod I wish could be done is to be able to use both the speaker on board and an extension speaker. Right now it is one or the other. I was told it could not be done though.

The biggest difference you can make via mods would probably be the Mercury magnetics transformers the most noticeable difference to most players is going to be the output transformer but for an RM20 I would do all three.

From there Rob at Jaded Faith can install his newest foglifter which will give you even more control over the power section so you can really dial it all in.

Honestly the biggest drawback to MTS for most people is the power section. Which is why Rob came up with the new foglifter that allows you to control negative feedback to tune the power section better and his MM trannies also help elevate the amp into more of the boutique realm. Of all the MTs amps the 20/22 have the weakest stock transformers.

For me personally once money is in better shape for me I'll be sending him my 50 watt head for the full set of MM transformers and will likely have him update my foglifter.

Obviously the cabinet/speaker can also have an impact on its shortcomings as well but that opens a new can of worms.

Aside from those mods you can always swap tubes, speakers, make cosmetic changes (new grill cloth, tolex, handle, etc)

I had all of that done to my RM20 and it sounds great. One issue though? When you do all of this stuff, be sure and get some of those silicone rings to keep the tubes from rattling. When I cranked mine it was a nightmare but is OK now.