RM20/22 - Convincing Vox/Matchless Tones?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corium_AZ

Reaction score
So, I went and bought a Vox AC15C1, primarily for lower volume recording purposes. And, turns out, I love the thing! First EL84 amp I've ever had, or spent any significant time playing on. I've always wanted for Vox tones, and have never found anything close thru my RM 100. Tried a Voxless, Matchvox, and currently have, and love (for tweed side), a TWox. I always figured the reason was the lack of EL84's (and the 'class A' power section, whatever the hell that means, lol). And, I think now that that must be the case.

So, my question for any of y'all in the know, can you get convincing Vox and/or Matchless tones using an RM20/22? Are the EL84's really the missing ingredient? Does the RM20/22 have a 'class A' power section? Have any of you tried a TWox in an RM20/22, and if so, was the resulting Vox side tone Vox-y?

The AC15 is returnable, and I will if I can get 90% of the way there using MTS. I'd love to be able to get Vox tones using my existing module, and also pop in my others for different flavors for lower volume recording purposes.

Any advice here is appreciated.

BTW - In typical OCD fashion, I've had this AC15 for a little over a week and it's already loaded with NOS tubes, a couple mods, and I popped a AlNiCo Blue speaker in it. All of this is would of course be transferred to the RM20...

withmittens said:
why not just use the VOX? it's the same cost as a module and RM20/22?

Cuz I have the module already (Twox), and a speaker cab. Can get an RM20 for $350 (with MDA board installed). Paid about $500 for the Vox. It's no higher quality or anything (all pcb). And if I can get same tones from an RM20, PLUS use my other modules, sounds like a better, more versatile, recording rig to me.

I've yet to find a sound that the modders can't give me. Plus the modules are just stupid versatile, even more so than what they often imitate.

I run my RM4 into a Mesa Boogie Stereo 20/20 primarily because it uses EL84 power tubes and it's plenty powerful for my on-stage needs. The advantage of the 20/20 is, apart from being a rack-mount stereo power amp, it takes up only 1 rack space.

My stock TOP BOOST module, as well as my stock CLEAN and Salvation C-WATT modules, sound fabulous coupled with the 20/20.

This gives you yet another configuration to consider! Hope this helps.
Graham

Corium_AZ said:
...bought a Vox AC15C1...Does the RM20/22 have a 'class A' power section?

From memory the Vox AC15 is not a true class A amp. It's some cathode-biased AB / no NFB type power section.

I haven't seen the RM20 power amp schematic, but with a good Vox module the RM20 definitely sounds Vox-ish even though the presence/density controls on the RM20 indicate that it has a negative feedback loop on the power amp. You could, however, modify the RM20 power section to have a switchable NFB (or even variable NFB).

All right. Sounds a lot like the RM20/22 can sound as I'd hoped. I think I'll swipe one up and see if it fits the bill. Too bad the one available is a 20 and not a 22... Oh well. Shouldn't be too terribly difficult to sell if it doesn't do it for me.

Thanks.

Keep the comments coming though, if you have knowledge on this.