Anyone ever mixed these speakers?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpitfireMusic

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has ever mixed a Celestion G12M "greenback" with a G12-65 before? If so what was it like?

Eminence, Weber etc variants are also acceptable as it will at least provide a frame of reference.

I've mixed a G12M Greenback and WGS ET65 before, it's cool but the Greenback is bit quiet unless it's on top with the ET65 underneath. I use the ET65/Veteran 30 combo more and my 4x12s are G12T-75/Vintage 30 in X-pattern. I like the scooped/mid-heavy combos, the Greenback is a bit "soft" to hold it's own in those blends.

I pretty much have the same to report. I have mixed this before and the Greenback adds something to the mix but it's quiet.

My favorite mix in a 2x12 is WGS (or Celestion) 65 with v30 type...and in my 4x12 v30/G12h30.

Well I'm kind of constricted to speaker selection in my 2x12 cabinet, I can only use speakers under 5.2" deep. So just trying to find some options. Unfortunately I think the WGS speakers will be too deep to fit between the beams in the cabinet, I'd prefer not modifying the cabinet for a speaker swap if possible.

I was hoping that in the Celestion and eminence cases that it would be fairly even tempered SPL wise since the g12m is rated at 98dB and the heritage 12-65 at 97dB. Eminence has the private Jack at 101dB and the CV-65 at 100.6dB. I know Weber also makes a lot of great speakers that would work in the cabinet.

Thought it might be a cool contrast to my ac30 loaded with heritage g12h-55 and alnico blue speakers to have a greenback flavored cab with a little extra smooth, thick styled tone. I could always stick to a pair of Creamback 65, g12m greenbacks, private jacks, Weber 1225, etc but sometimes a mismatched pair can be great for recording and dual miking live.

Since I'm planning to use a fender vibrolux style clean, Marshall JTM style crunch, dr z maz clean, supro thunderbolt, matchless Chiefton, and a wreck for my mods. I know that at least the greenback style speaker will shine.

I'd probably just get two Greenbacks, they seem to always sound better in matched pairs/quads to me.

there is a higher output greenback style speaker called the Anniversary G12H that cops a lot of the Greenback tone but is louder and (allegedly) mixes better with the V30. I have this combo based on Avatar Cabinet s recommendation. I've had this combo in a semi open back Avatar 2 x 12 for about 15 years. It sounds excellent

edit:
on more research the 70th Anniversary G12H30 seems to have the same specs as the 30 watt greenback. I'm nor sure what the differences are except folks think the anniversary is a touch brighter than the Greenback G12H30 & Heritage versions

Somehow I felt the greenback is a bot "slower" and less bright than the g12H30. I really like the greenback as it really smoothes the sound which not happens at g12h30 by my experience.

Greenback has such a unique sound which doen't need to be mixed with other speaker.

I've used a celestion vintage 30 and a Mesa 90 both with a green back and had great results. Never noticed a volume difference while playing with either. The GB adds alot of mid character the other 2 don't have so it stands out for me. The GBs I have though are older 80's and 90's production models though so maybe something changed?

well I ended up ordering a set of Weber Ceramics the neo creambacks kept getting pushed back and I got impatient. I also realized with the Vox AC30 I use (which has a heritage G12H-55 and an Alnico Blue) that I really dug that type of pairing both for the whole picture and the flexibility of one being warm, thick, creamy and the other being more mid-detailed, bright, chimey, etc.

So I had Weber build 50 watt, 16 ohm, pre-rola treated 1230-55 and Blue Dog speakers. They fit fantastically in my cabinet and I feel that they sound great at least if you are after a more vintage inspired/boutique vibe. I'd definitely choose other speakers for higher gain and more modern applications.

Well thanks to my lovely business/gear acquisition syndrome/part time job all playing bad influences I picked up a pair of dynamic mics from Telefunken USA that not only have become my go to pair for snare drum but also my go to pair for miking guitar cabinets.

But for anyone interested in a killer way to get a variety of tones live/studio I'm using an M80 on the Blue speaker (which accentuates the brighter nature and detail) and an M81 on the 1230-55 (since the M81 is more neutral this accentuates the warm, thick, creamy, deep tones of that speaker). The two together make for a great 3D image and obviously being able to blend to taste is super cool. I sometimes blend in an sE electronics voodoo ribbon mic a few feet away for some room ambiance.

So anyone looking for a versatile toneful set of speakers be sure to check out my new favorite Weber pairing. FYI if your cabinet has the space I suggest ceramic 1230-55 and alnico Blue Dog.