Jace Synergy update

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audiomidijace

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I had a chance to do more beta testing with the Synergy products.
Everything is working really well.
This is the first time I had a chance to try the SYN-30 head!
It's running a pair of 6L6 at 30 watts.
It has a built-in clean channel and one module slot.
The built-in clean channel sounds fantastic!
No master volume on this one. You just use the channel volumes.
FX loop sounds great.
I think this is a pretty smart product.
It's a very neutral clean. It doesn't really have a Fender or Vox
tone to it, but it does have a very nice character of it's own.
Then you just pick the kind of overdrive module that you want.
As the Synergy modules are dual channels you end up with a 3 channel amp!

Most of this testing was on functionality. Making sure everything worked
properly. FX loop levels. Channel switching using the SYN-1 and SYN-2 with a series loop on a standard amp, etc. All of my personal modules worked perfectly with the Synergy hardware. I used a Wampler Tumnus in front of each product. I also used my Wampler Faux Tape Echo and my TC Nova System with the FX loops. All good.
With any luck I'll get some more time with these products tomorrow. I'm looking forward to comparing the sound of the heads to my RM4/ RT2/50 with my Orange 4x12.
It's coming together guys! It's taking a while, but that's because they're doing it right and not cutting corners. When I or other testers have run in to issues, they've really listened and made the proper changes to address them. :D

Fantastic update Jace!

Good to see one of the true addicts/users of MTS rocking the Synergy stuff....keep it coming man! \m/

There's only a couple that have dual EQ. I want to say the Twin and the Baseman. They only do it on modules that actually have two "different" channels. There might be a couple more that I can't remember at the moment.
Others have two identical channels that you just have individual control of gain and volume for.

really want to know:

1. how a MTS mod sounds on the system
2. how a Synergy(Freidman & Supro) pre sounds in an RM4/RT2/50 rig
3. How well the single slot thing sounds on that same rig

you're probably having some fun

I had some more time with the Synergy gear today.
I thought the SYN-50 sounded better with my personal modules
than they did with my RM4 RT2/50. Not by a great margin, but better.

Everything sounded great in the SYN-30 too, but I didn't like it with the super high gain stuff as much. Not that it sounded bad by any stretch.
I still really like that built-in clean channel. It's really nice!

I played a handful of the Synergy modules with my RM4 RT2/50.
The SLO is really bad ***!
The JCM800 was very solid.
The Friedman BE had more gain and was also very nice.
I still REALLY like the Plexi module where you can blend the low and hi input gain.

That's all for now kids! 8)

thanks for the report.

very curious, and I'm sure this will be explored a lot in the next year as Synergy rolls out, about what exactly makes the Synergy a bit better...is it feel, heft and body, clarity, response....

Does the Syn30 allow for opening up the power section with less volume than the 50? allowing for masters to be opened up and low gain settings dialed in for punch and sparkle? I get this very well with my rig but band mates always complain how loud I am. I say it's Rock $ Roll but nobody buys that anymore

This is all rhetorical at this point

If you do have some thoughts it would be great to hear what they are but I understand if this isn't your focus at this point

will be watching the radar

Hi Jace ,

Thanks for the info , I have a couple of questions as i am on the list for the SYN20 and a Deizel

since there is no master did you find it difficult to get the mods to sound good at low volume or was it all off to beyond bedroom level with slight turn
is the tapers on the mods very gradual in your opinion?

Also i was disappointed to here you felt Hi Gain was not represented as well
on the 30 ,what was it , was it to loose on the lows?

I play a lot of modern drop D stuff like Shinedown, Alterbridge Pop evil etc modern rock and i was hoping the Syn 30 and Dzl mod would be great for that ?

but it seems like your not liking that set up as much as the 50 :(

I didn't have a problem getting good tone at bedroom volumes with it at all.

As to high gain, to be fair the only high gain module I played through it was my Mamba. So your results may vary. And like I said, it didn't sound bad at all but I did like the SYN-50 better. It wasn't loose on the lows though. Just a different tone. Who knows, you might like it better!

Thanks so much Jace for the reply

Makes sense it sounds like the 30

Still would work great for me

Clean sounds great as well

Glad to hear bass stays tight on the hi gain stuff

As mentioned I would use a DZL or HBE SLO as my gain ch

I had an Rm22 and that was 0 to Loud so glad to here this one is easier to control

Hey Jace,

Have you had a chance to play with the SYN 50/50 power amp? Im interested in how it plays with old and new modules.. If you can. Thanks!!!

stemlife said:
Hey Jace,

Have you had a chance to play with the SYN 50/50 power amp? Im interested in how it plays with old and new modules.. If you can. Thanks!!!

During and after the NAMM show. It sounded great with the new modules and with my personal modules through my RM4, the SYN-2 and the SYN-1. It's a very nice sounding power amp. Steven Fryette (VHT) had a lot to do with the design.