SL+ to BE mods

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some testing results/updates:

1). Ceramic 470pf 1kv sounds way better in c14 (tone treble) than a silver mica. Sliver mica sounds too smooth.

2). I tried lowering c3 from .0022uf to .001uf and this sounding much more like a true BE. I'm thinking that .0015 may be the sweet spot. I'll try that soon

EDIT: Yup, just tried 0.0015uf, pretty much hit the sweet spot!

Playing around with c3 some more. Leaning towards .001uf again. It depends on the cap brand/composition, a .001 silver mica sounds a little thin, but I just tried two .0022uf OD's in series (equates to .0011uf) and it sounds a little beefier, just about right.

With two caps in series like that it gives the option of bypassing one with a toggle switch and that would give the fat switch option.

Anyways I'm ordering some more caps to experiment with in this location.
Yes I will beat this horse to death :)

Keep it up, enjoying your work?

Question, what cab and speakers are you using for testing?

Have you moved the cab away from any boundaries to minimize bass buildup in the corners etc?

It's hard to do critical listening in a untreated room with a guitar cab etc.

I suggest setting the cab in the middle of the room pointing the long way if a rectangle, test at about 80db SPL where your ears have their flattest response, and marking a listening spot on the floor etc so it's repeatable.

Disregard if using studio monitors and a mic'd cab in a remote recording area.

I have a mesa oversized 4x12 v30's I use mainly, I also have a Marshall 1960av with greenbacks at top, and marshall v30s on bottom, and a Mojotone straight 4x12 with v30's and greenbacks.

The space I test in is pretty bright, no carpet, laminate flooring. The room, cabs, placement, and listening positions I know pretty well. I place the cabs about three feet from the wall centered in the room.

djdayson said:
Keep it up, enjoying your work?

Question, what cab and speakers are you using for testing?

Have you moved the cab away from any boundaries to minimize bass buildup in the corners etc?

It's hard to do critical listening in a untreated room with a guitar cab etc.

I suggest setting the cab in the middle of the room pointing the long way if a rectangle, test at about 80db SPL where your ears have their flattest response, and marking a listening spot on the floor etc so it's repeatable.

Disregard if using studio monitors and a mic'd cab in a remote recording area.

c45 switch

This is what is switched
R7
68k / 220k

R11
68k / 470k bypassed with 500pf

Note: V2 gen be100's use 560k bypassed with 680pf. Older V1 gen be100's seem to use 470k bypassed with 500pf.

Anyhow, with the c45 on it's a little brighter, and slightly mid scooped.