Just got a MOD50! Questions.

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corium_AZ

Reaction score
Ok, so I just couldn't help myself. There was a used MOD50 in what looks like mint condition (loaded with an SL and what appears to be an SL2+), incl footswitch on Guitar Center's website for only $900. Kinda hard to complain about that, so I swiped it up. Figure I can sell the stock dualies for about $500. So, $400 for a MOD50 seems to me to be a smoking deal!

In any case, I'm quite interested to see how it differs from my RM100 tonally. I'll report back as to what I find in that regard.

One question I do have - will the MOD50 benefit from a Foglifter/MDA board? I absolutely hated my RM100 when I first got it, until I Foglifted it. But, I think I recall seeing somewhere that the MOD amps don't have the issue that the RM's did/do with the presence board. Is this true? If the MOD amps benefit from these too, I'll just get one now.

I put a fog lifter in one of my MOD50s...minor difference tonally but makes the sweep of the pots much more useful...

Whereas I could never use more than first 1/4 of the Density sweep, I can make much more subtle level of adjustment and Presence instead of going from subtle to balls out in the last 1/3 of the dial...same thing.

It's a crying shame there is no MDA for MOD50s.

JKD said:
It's a crying shame there is no MDA for MOD50s.

Couldn't you send Anthony your stock board? I mean, if you really wanted one.

I found the Foglifter to work nicely in the MOD 50, FWIW.

Well, almost a month later, I finally get this **** thing!

Once again, UPS really screwed the pooch. I really have terrible luck with shippers... UPs for whatever **** reason delivered the package to an AMAZON fulfillment center in my area. Once they realized their mistake, they went there and Amazon had already put MY package on one of THEIR Amazon trucks... Lol. I mean, seriously? So, into the void it went.

Then, a week later, it showed back up - was returned to the SENDER! Lol. So, that GC in NJ overnighted it back to me at their expense.

In any case, the thing is in near mint condition, and works great. Well, except for a very scratchy master volume pot - which is soon to be replaced with a JF Foglifter (and it needs it otherwise).

So far, sounds great, though not much different than my RM100. The RM is much 'clearer' as is, but it is Foglifted, so I'll withhold judgment until I get one in the MOD50. I couldn't stand my RM until I got that Foglifter in there, so hopefully I get similar results here.

BTW - This one came with an SL and SL2X modules. Both sound great in their own respect. However, I already have a Salvo Mash-Oldano - so I've got little use for any more Marshall type mods. So, these will prolly be on the block here soon...

One question - on both of these dual mods, each 'channel' seems to be voiced and gain staged differently. Is this normal for duals? I figured the two channels would be identical with the only usefulness being you could have a different gain and master volume setting on each. Are the modded duallies voiced differently on each channel? Can they be? I'd love to have a dual Vybe Deluxe with the 'Deluxe' voicing on one channel and the Vybroverb on the other!

Most all the dual channel's have different gain voicings at the very least. Some have completely different personalities altogether.

Corium_AZ said:
BTW - This one came with an SL and SL2X modules. Both sound great in their own respect. However, I already have a Salvo Mash-Oldano - so I've got little use for any more Marshall type mods. So, these will prolly be on the block here soon...

One question - on both of these dual mods, each 'channel' seems to be voiced and gain staged differently. Is this normal for duals? I figured the two channels would be identical with the only usefulness being you could have a different gain and master volume setting on each. Are the modded duallies voiced differently on each channel? Can they be? I'd love to have a dual Vybe Deluxe with the 'Deluxe' voicing on one channel and the Vybroverb on the other!

Just got a SL2X D/S myself, my first Egnater dual mod. A couple of the Egnaters have identical channels, the Erect does, but most are tuned low/high gain.
I just saw a dual Vybe Deluxe and it was indeed Deluxe on one channel, Vybe on the other, probably Marco's or Drew's?

trimix said:
I just saw a dual Vybe Deluxe and it was indeed Deluxe on one channel, Vybe on the other, probably Marco's or Drew's?

Not mine...

trimix said:
Corium_AZ said:

Just got a SL2X D/S myself, my first Egnater dual mod. A couple of the Egnaters have identical channels, the Erect does, but most are tuned low/high gain.

****, I'd like to get my hands on that VybeDeluxe. Good to know the option is there... I wonder how the T/D module compares? I'd imagine a JF 'base modded' T/D might be a great mod!