Looks Like I'm Back

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

op1e

Reaction score
Well after the resurrection of my Peavey Ultra and my 2nd honeymoon with it, I reluctantly agreed to sell my rm100 to my other guitarist. After that it broke down, got it back from the tech and less than 6 weeks later it went down again. Arcing issue I imagine. Hopefully I'll get a reasonable rate due to the amp techs misdiagnosis. He said it was because one of the headshell mounting nuts was loose in the chassis and shorted it. This was wrong because those didn't come loose till I removed it from the shell after it blew up to check the internal fuses.

Took my money from selling it to bandmate and bought an Egnator Vengeance (meh, but best clean channel ever) because I wanted the similar easy access to bias power section. Traded the Vengeance for a JCM 900 SL-X (trade of the century, I know). I traded my GFS tele I built for an Agile 8 string. The aforementioned guitarist wanted it and agreed to trade me the broken Randall for it. Another deal of the century considering the Agile was listed for $275 and my guitarist paid $650 for the rm100. So here I am now with an Ultra 120, SL-X, B52 AT100 (that I just resurrected from sitting in my bass players garage 6 years broken), and this boat anchor rm100 that will hopefully come to life again.

Its really gonna be my endgame for tube amps. The Blackface can stay stock. The SL+ is fantastic but might get the cap mod. And the KH-3 will be modded into something soon. I just gotta get it to cop the tone of my Ultra's crunch channel or a 5150II or ENGL to suit my djenty needs.

I'm surprised an Ultra lineup module never got made. Has the right amount of preamp tubes (4). A switch for Ultra (raw girthy) XXX (slight Recto flavor) JSX (Marshall flavor, brighter less gain). As a Peavey enthusiast I'm tired of the 5150 only getting recognized.

op1e said:
I'm surprised an Ultra lineup module never got made. Has the right amount of preamp tubes (4). A switch for Ultra (raw girthy) XXX (slight Recto flavor) JSX (Marshall flavor, brighter less gain). As a Peavey enthusiast I'm tired of the 5150 only getting recognized.

Custom module?

Getting it back tomorrow! It has the arcing issue. The repairs to what was damaged by the arcing (again) have been done. But it will still eventually need that power board replaced. Gonna get it done tax season and effects loop send level mod, Kt88 tubes. But until then, I have to be Nun tight with tubes and impedance's. Maybe the problem happened because I was running 6550 and 6L6's.

Redid the ugly silver face plate. Sounds killer. Threw the matched JJ quad that came with it back in, biased 30mv all the way across to be safe for now. Until the power board is switched out to cure the arcing issue, not gonna run any mismatched pairs, as much as i wanna try KT88's. This is probably why the guy that traded it to me had it set to 24mv. Gonna baby it for now, but I think if I run tightly matched sets it would be ok. Anybody ever have to nurse their amp thru this problem?

I'm thinking I'm gonna pull 2 tubes to manage the volume on this thing. One question is, is that gonna bring my arcing issue with the power board back into play? Running 2 different type of tubes did it in the last time perhaps. But also more than likely that we were in a very cold room that we heated up fast and the amps were very sweaty. May pull couple el34 outta my Marshall and try those, as this amp in now way lacks bottom end. Can't wait to get that power board outta there, gonna order the new one soon.