MTS Forum Forum Index
Discussion forum for Synergy, Egnater & Randall MTS Amps & Modules

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Demo video crap that bugs me

View previous topic :: View next topic  
audiomidijace
Donating Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:38 pm    Post subject: Demo video crap that bugs me Reply with quote

If you're going to go to the trouble of making a video to demonstrate "guitar tone" here's a list of things you REALLY need to do:

1. Tune your damn guitar!
2. If you're going to record a second guitar track, tune your damn guitar again!
3. Make sure the sound coming out of the amplifier is LOUDER than the sound of your damn pick hitting your damn strings!
4. Don't use a bunch of damn FX like chorus, Flanger, Delay, wah pedals or God forbid a whammy pedal!
5. Don't move the damn camera when the damn microphone is ON the damn camera!
Dunlop 95Q Wah, TC Nova System, Wampler Tumnus
AVID ELEVEN RACK & Atomic Amplifier 12
Transactions:Lots!
MarcoR
Donating Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Demo video crap that bugs me Reply with quote

audiomidijace wrote:

4. Don't use a bunch of damn FX like chorus, Flanger, Delay, wah pedals or God forbid a whammy pedal!

Guilty!
ricky
Lynch Box

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jace, I am a professional therapist. Maybe I can help you work through these issues.....
audiomidijace
Donating Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I obviously need it! Laughing
Alexis
RM20

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why so angry?
audiomidijace
Donating Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I totally stand by my comments, I was also going for a bit of humor. Try reading it again with the voice of comedian Ron White! Any better?
Laughing
Jaymzrock
RM100

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a serious question.

Phone vids or mic'd?
Solo guitar or in a mix?
Because a phone vids always sucks unless its a guitar cover with the song slightly louder. (Still not better, I've done it, I stand by my word.
A mix can be bad because mixing is 137% subjective and you'll hate the tone I cultivate/ vice versa.

So.

Both? But not a lazy both, with the mixed and compressed guitar by itself and then in a mix. But a phone vids/room sound, then a dry SM57 cut...then a mix?

I wanna make more vids than I have, because I really am intrigued by it. Then I see MarcoR's videos. And then I sit back down.

Capt_Tippy
RM100

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaymz, Do your own thing. Make whatever video you want and post it wherever you want. Marco does what Marco does. I doubt he's waiting around and comparing himself to you. If he inspires you to do something then be inspired, but don't hold back because your videos aren't Marco's videos. Marco is Marco and Jaymz is Jaymz.

Also Jace is Jace Wink

I've personally been very tempted to make some videos that have all the stuff Jace said he hates, and make a youtube channel called "JaceClips" to post them all to, but... I'm currently too busy to do all that Wink

Do your thing man. Don't let this kinda message hold you back.

You're correct. I probably have no idea what I'm talking about. I'm not even sure why I bothered to say anything in the 1st place.
MarcoR
Donating Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most difficult part is getting started for me. Wanting to do something that looks pro is what usually holds me back the most. And something about hitting record on any device zaps me of all inspiration and creativity. Then factor in bad hair days and am I too bloated and it becomes hopeless... Sad
Capt_Tippy
RM100

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm always secretly hoping someone hit the record button when I wasn't looking... but of course the only one that ever hits the button is me. I suffer from pretty much your same issues Marco

You're correct. I probably have no idea what I'm talking about. I'm not even sure why I bothered to say anything in the 1st place.
iekobrid
RM100

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To help someone here on the forum make an informed buying decision (and as an excuse to waste a Saturday afternoon) I decided I was going to record a video comparing a few Vox-based modules to the Wampler Thirty Something pedal.

I loaded the modules into an RM4, plugged it into the effect loop return of a RM-20 for 'authentic' EL-84 flavor, ran the combo's external speaker jack to a 1x12 with a Greenback miced with a Sennheiser e609. The mic and the combo's direct recording output went to a Focusrite usb interface connected to my laptop running Reaper and recording the two inputs onto separate tracks.

I learned how to fake my way through a handful of songs that I always think of when someone mentions the AC-30, picked the most appropriate guitar for each, spent an hour or so fiddling to find the best settings to highlight the modules' strengths and weaknesses.

I set up three cameras, one pointed straight at the face of the RM4 to show all the modules' knob positions, another from a side angle to show just whichever module I was using at the moment, and the third showing the guitar as I played. Set up a few extra lights and positioned them so as to eliminate shadows without creating additional glare.

Did a test recording to get levels and tweak camera positions accordingly, complete with a loud hand clap visible to all the cameras and audible to the amp mic, to make it easier to sync all those sources up in post.

Was happy with the setup (though not with the god awful snarl of cords and cables growing just out of camera frame) and was ready to go when the doorbell rang. I went to sign for a package and take a leak, and when I returned the amp was dead. Shocked

f*&k it, I give up. Embarassed Laughing
MarcoR
Donating Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iekobrid wrote:
To help someone here on the forum make an informed buying decision (and as an excuse to waste a Saturday afternoon) I decided I was going to record a video comparing a few Vox-based modules to the Wampler Thirty Something pedal.

I loaded the modules into an RM4, plugged it into the effect loop return of a RM-20 for 'authentic' EL-84 flavor, ran the combo's external speaker jack to a 1x12 with a Greenback miced with a Sennheiser e609. The mic and the combo's direct recording output went to a Focusrite usb interface connected to my laptop running Reaper and recording the two inputs onto separate tracks.

I learned how to fake my way through a handful of songs that I always think of when someone mentions the AC-30, picked the most appropriate guitar for each, spent an hour or so fiddling to find the best settings to highlight the modules' strengths and weaknesses.

I set up three cameras, one pointed straight at the face of the RM4 to show all the modules' knob positions, another from a side angle to show just whichever module I was using at the moment, and the third showing the guitar as I played. Set up a few extra lights and positioned them so as to eliminate shadows without creating additional glare.

Did a test recording to get levels and tweak camera positions accordingly, complete with a loud hand clap visible to all the cameras and audible to the amp mic, to make it easier to sync all those sources up in post.

Was happy with the setup (though not with the god awful snarl of cords and cables growing just out of camera frame) and was ready to go when the doorbell rang. I went to sign for a package and take a leak, and when I returned the amp was dead. Shocked

f*&k it, I give up. Embarassed Laughing

Oh you were asking for after going through all the trouble to do a proper demo. Twisted Evil
Capt_Tippy
RM100

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTS Forum Forum Index -> Rigs & Tones All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: