RM100 Output transformer specs

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottlwilson2016

Reaction score
Hello

I'm interested in spec'ing a replacement output transformer for my RM100. I understand that Mercury has one available, however at $250. I am wondering if another manufacturer, perhaps Edcor, has another option available and if not, what am I looking for in output transformer specs?

Cheers,

Scott Wilson

Any 100 watt 1.8k to 2.2k primary impedance should work fine.

Now that being said, if you run el34 type tubes you should get the 1.8k, if you're running 6l6 types you should get the 2.2k. These primary impedance are what match these tube types.

Contact [email protected] he can hook you up, and may even make you a custom. I usually pay about $175.00 for a heyboer transformer.

or

Classic tones are a good value, here is a 2.2k
http://www.classictone.net/40-18072.html

http://www.classictone.net/40-18026.html

^^^^^^^I agree with the above

I also called both of these companies. They have been spec'd in Egnater and others and will be a huge improvement over the stock ones.

I did not perform the upgrade as I went to RT2/50 which has better transformers, so I am told. It sounds like it to me

Thanks for the input, Gentlemen!

I'm considering the Edcor presently. I will look at heyboer as well.

I don't think a choke will have much of an affect in the sound quality, will it??

Best,

Scott

From my experience everything in an amp effects tone (except logic boards, and switches for the most part). Some people will tell you only things in the signal path make a difference, not true.

As far as the choke, if you simply buy one of the same value it probably wont have a profound effect (unless the one in the amp is super crappy to begin with). A choke lives between the main filter caps, and the screen filter caps, it helps filter the DC (i.e. B+) voltage, it lowers hum, and lowers voltage sag.

One thing to keep in mind when upgrading components, the upgrade may not sound like an upgrade. A good amp builder, or modder will use the component that sounds the best in the circuit hes building/modding. It may be the cheaper component that sounds the best in that particular circuit.

Good Advice.

Thanks so much. I think the output transformer is the way to go. I am also wanting a slightly softer attack that a tube rectifier normally imparts. Do you have any suggestions with this particular tonal interest? I think better EL34s may improve that quality with a more glassy tone, which may be just what the doctor ordered. I am using EL34EH and I'm marginally happy with them. I have been told Tung sol and new mullard. (Would this have a similar effect going the higher quality route?) I have also been entertaining using a 7025 for the input tube and then higher quality 12ax7s for the remaining 2. The reason for the questions- all these experiments end up costing serious money that I'm not wanting to spend. :^) So if I can minimize money wasted, yeah for me.

Again, thanks for your extremely valuable insight.

Scott

I've changed the transformers on both of my RM100's and I went for the Mercury ones, they were expensive but the result is pretty good once you get the volume up. I did the PT / OT / choke upgrade and the results are a huge sounding amp, great dynamics and lots of chugg.

My primary reason for choosing the MM ones is that I have the last MOD50 that Bruce made and he put the prototype MM transformer in it that they had made when they were deciding on them for the MOD50's and its pretty close to the best sounding amp I've ever heard, definitely in the modular world :)

While I was doing this I did look about for other suppliers in particular at the Heyboer ones as this is what Bruce put in the MOD100, the Egnater version of the RM100. I'm pretty sure a quick conversation with them and they could send you some spec'ed for the RM100!

I did look at the Classic tone ones too and I hear very good things about them - indeed the rumor I heard was that these are what Friedman fits in his amps and if that is the case they are doing the job there!

I've not heard of Edcor so if you go in that direction it would be interesting to hear what the results are like!

scottlwilson2016 said:
Good Advice.

Thanks so much. I think the output transformer is the way to go. I am also wanting a slightly softer attack that a tube rectifier normally imparts. Do you have any suggestions with this particular tonal interest? I think better EL34s may improve that quality with a more glassy tone, which may be just what the doctor ordered. I am using EL34EH and I'm marginally happy with them. I have been told Tung sol and new mullard. (Would this have a similar effect going the higher quality route?) I have also been entertaining using a 7025 for the input tube and then higher quality 12ax7s for the remaining 2. The reason for the questions- all these experiments end up costing serious money that I'm not wanting to spend. :^) So if I can minimize money wasted, yeah for me.

Again, thanks for your extremely valuable insight.

Scott

I totally understand wanting to ask the questions to minimize the cost of experimentation :) I'm actually new to MTS and my rm100 however I've built and modded many amps over the years, its really turned into a fun hobby for me, plus I help out a lot of struggling musicians/friends/bands by modding or fixing their amps.

Power tubes can have a profound effect, the ones I've tried on my rm100:

JJ E34L, Big glassy, but aggressive, pretty hard attack

Gold Lion kt77, wow nice mids, huge low end that gives you some chewy slightly softer bottom. These kt77's are well broke in though, and while they sound good, they cost $200 for a quad, eek, and they did not stay matched for long, and they have become microphonic, not to the point to where they are squealing yet.

I have a quad of Svetlana el34's, and a quad of JJ el34's I plan to try this weekend I'll let you know how that goes.

The new Mullards sound good, I've tried them in other amps. They are darker sounding definitely not glassy. They certainly sound great in a plexi.

One other thing mercury magnetics has a reconfigurable choke that you can easily change from 3, 5, 9 uH etc. this can help tune the feel of the power section.

webrthomson said:
I did look at the Classic tone ones too and I hear very good things about them - indeed the rumor I heard was that these are what Friedman fits in his amps and if that is the case they are doing the job there!

Not sure about all the Friedman amps, but I know for sure he uses Heyboer in the BE100, and the SS100. I even know the exact PN for the OT if you're interested in ordering one from Heyboer. I think its basically a Dagnall 1.5inch stack clone.

This is something I want to do as well. My only really complaint is the weight of the RM100. It is on par with my 1971 Ampeg V-4. If the transformer is changed out, will it still have the ability to change between tubes? I like that flexibility, but I could live with one type if the tone is that much better.

Yeah, it is painfully heavy. Yes you can still use different types of tubes but with a small impedance mismatch. Best case is to buy the transformer that matches the tube type you like the most.

ampegasaur said:
This is something I want to do as well. My only really complaint is the weight of the RM100. It is on par with my 1971 Ampeg V-4. If the transformer is changed out, will it still have the ability to change between tubes? I like that flexibility, but I could live with one type if the tone is that much better.

CrazyNutz said:
Yeah, it is painfully heavy. Yes you can still use different types of tubes but with a small impedance mismatch. Best case is to buy the transformer that matches the tube type you like the most.

ampegasaur said:

Is the tone that much better? I was wondering if the 50 watt head is much lighter? I really like the system, but due to some medical issues This head is WAY to heavy To haul around.

I have not changed the OT in my RM100 yet, so I don't know. I have some OT's laying around so I will eventually plug one in to try it. Personally I think the stock one sounds pretty decent.

I doubt it would make enough improvement for you to live with the weight issue you're having, changing the OT will not help the weight at all.

EDIT: Two of the cheapest upgrades that make a big impact are installing a Jaded Faith Fog Lifter, or Salvation MDA. The other is upgrading the .1uf signal cap in the V1 tube board to a SoZo nex gen, this really thickened the tone up for me.

ampegasaur said:
CrazyNutz said:

ampegasaur said:

Is the tone that much better? I was wondering if the 50 watt head is much lighter? I really like the system, but due to some medical issues This head is WAY to heavy To haul around.

CrazyNutz said:
I have not changed the OT in my RM100 yet, so I don't know. I have some OT's laying around so I will eventually plug one in to try it. Personally I think the stock one sounds pretty decent.

I doubt it would make enough improvement for you to live with the weight issue you're having, changing the OT will not help the weight at all.

EDIT: Two of the cheapest upgrades that make a big impact are installing a Jaded Faith Fog Lifter, or Salvation MDA. The other is upgrading the .1uf signal cap in the V1 tube board to a SoZo nex gen, this really thickened the tone up for me.

ampegasaur said:
CrazyNutz said:

ampegasaur said:

How light is the 50 compared to the 100???