MTS vs Kemper

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattfig

Reaction score
So many are aware that I have gone to the Kemper for my live stuff but have I been using it in the studio? Believe it or not, the answer is no! MTS clearly wins in this category even with pristine profiles of the mods that I have...

Kemper is a sick tool and a way of speed dating amps....But when it comes to paying jobs, I stay with MTS...

Just a public service announcement... :)

As an MTS user for the past 8 years, I still consider it some of the best technology available in the amp world. That said, I have been strongly considering picking up a Kemper in the next 6 months, after watching some stunning videos on them, and having waited the obligatory few of years for the hype to die down.

What is it, as best you can put it into words, that your MTS rig has over the Kemper? The feel and response of the Kemper has fooled many a guitarist.

buriedorburned said:
As an MTS user for the past 8 years, I still consider it some of the best technology available in the amp world. That said, I have been strongly considering picking up a Kemper in the next 6 months, after watching some stunning videos on them, and having waited the obligatory few of years for the hype to die down.

What is it, as best you can put it into words, that your MTS rig has over the Kemper? The feel and response of the Kemper has fooled many a guitarist.

Good question....The Kemper, quite honestly, has all the feel and response of a tube amp....The player surely cannot tell under most circumstances...For my live rig, Kemper is just easier and sounds as good....For studio, I default to MTS because I'm very familiar with recording with it...The Kemper just seems silly with all these tube amps around...If I had to go just Kemper, I doubt anyone could tell the difference...If I had to choose just one, I'm afraid it would be a difficult call....

Awesome, thanks Matt.

At this point, if I do go for one, it won't be replacing anything. Of course that might change later. At this point, without having played one, I'm very impressed with what I hear.

I've owned a lot of "modeling" gear over the years, dating back to the POD, and when I think of digital interpretations of tube amps, I always remember that point where the tone dies out, like you have a noise gate on too high. Or where the feel / response isn't right, and so far with Kemper I'm hearing that's not the case.

Good to hear its not gone forever, And all products eh what have you guys been holdin out on us lol.

buriedorburned said:
Awesome, thanks Matt.

At this point, if I do go for one, it won't be replacing anything. Of course that might change later. At this point, without having played one, I'm very impressed with what I hear.

I've owned a lot of "modeling" gear over the years, dating back to the POD, and when I think of digital interpretations of tube amps, I always remember that point where the tone dies out, like you have a noise gate on too high. Or where the feel / response isn't right, and so far with Kemper I'm hearing that's not the case.

If you're adding it to what you have, it's an amazing tool....I have also had all the PODs and the like through the years and Kemper got it totally right...Everyone who was skeptical going in has come out a believer here....If it's set up properly you honestly can't tell....

Here's a great video showing how impressive a proper Kemper can be...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArYxQGBemfA

Glad all is going well with the site. Best of luck with all of that as usual.

The Kemper is starting to make a lot of sense to me. That said, I'm pretty happy with my MTS rig and my Eleven Rack for recording. The first thing I'd need to to is upgrade my computer and software. I'm still on Pro Tools 9 with Mac OS 10.6.8 with RTAS plug-ins. But....everything is working well and sounds great! So it may be a while until I have $5K to upgrade all of that. :lol:

I played one once and really wasn't impressed. I did play it through headphones and I don't know if that was the reason, but I really didn't care for the kemper. FWIW. I still play my MTS stuff. Currently looking for a bloomy tubey fender and a Grailtone.

The Rossness said:
I played one once and really wasn't impressed. I did play it through headphones and I don't know if that was the reason, but I really didn't care for the kemper. FWIW. I still play my MTS stuff. Currently looking for a bloomy tubey fender and a Grailtone.

How does MTS compare through headphones?

LOL....Through headphones, my Line 6 is tolerable...

MTS through my Torpedo into headphones is bliss...

Kemper through headphones is also bliss...

One big thing I can give to the Kemper is that the DI profiles sound and react very closely to the actual modules....When you add a cab and such, the line gets a bit blurred as to what you're comparing....

I once owned a Kemper PowerRack a couple years ago and at first, I was definitely hooked by the tones and the ability to clone my tube amps into it for use on the road. However, after awhile, all the tone profiles starting to sound the same and playing through the cab live, the feel just was not there even when it was cranked up to stage volume levels. In hindsight, what I should have done was gotten the unpowered version and paired it with a tube power amp. I’m considering doing this with a Helix and the Syn-5050.

Delli72 said:
I once owned a Kemper PowerRack a couple years ago and at first, I was definitely hooked by the tones and the ability to clone my tube amps into it for use on the road. However, after awhile, all the tone profiles starting to sound the same and playing through the cab live, the feel just was not there even when it was cranked up to stage volume levels. In hindsight, what I should have done was gotten the unpowered version and paired it with a tube power amp. I’m considering doing this with a Helix and the Syn-5050.

Holy thread necro Batman. 6+ years!!! Is that a new record?

I LOVE this thread. The lineage gives it CONTEXT. Anyway: I have owned MTS since it came out and I'm upto 15 modules. I have some Salvation, some Jaded Faith modules, as well. My point is: I also have a Fractal AX8 (sort of like the Kemper, the highest level modelers) and its quite good. But I only use it for studio recordings. Why? Because if I have to do a punch 6 months after a session, I can get the exact tone again. Presets are good for that. And the tweakability is good,too. Sometimes the synth part and the backing vocals are in the same sonic range as the Fractal AX8 part and with some tweaking I can edit the Fractal Ax8 sound to survive amongst the 64 other tracks going on (I do big full productions).
But for the best tone???? Its 2022 and I have never found better than the MTS system. PERIOD. Its like having 8 great amps. I have a rm4 into a rm50 power amp into cabs or I can do a DI out of the rm4 into a cab sim. I have been playing for years and I am VERY picky. Its 2022 and the MTS STILL rules,imho.