MOD 50 Input Gain

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corium_AZ

Reaction score
Just got a MOD 50. When compared right next to my RM100, it has a good deal more gain prior to getting to the module (either of them). Meaning, when swapping the same module from the RM to the MOD, I have to turn the gain down pretty significantly (a good quarter turn) on the module to match the gain level in the RM. So, it proves difficult to get a clean tone out of my Vybe Deluxe or TWox. Everything prior to the amp is the same (same guitar, pedals, etc) as I have them side by side and can quickly swap from one to the other.

Note that I have a Tung Sol 12AX7 in the chassis V1 (input tube) of both my RM and the MOD. So, it's not the tube.

Also note, I do have a vintage GE 5751 in the PI slot of the RM. And, there is a JAN Philips 12AT7 in the PI of the MOD. These comparisons are at low volumes, so I doubt the PI has much if anything to do with it.

Also also note, I did pop a 12AT7 into the input V1 in the MOD and this did help a lot in getting the input gain down. But, it kind of deadened the tone a bit.

Question - Has anyone else experienced the same? Is this by design or could there be something amiss?

Is it possible that it was modified by previous owner?

The input resistor and coupling cap can be changed pretty quickly with a soldering iron...

Is related to one specific module or all?

I have had 4 MOD50s and every single Randall RM amp...I can swap around my current stable of 4 amps or 2 preamps and not see this issue.

JKD said:

The input resistor and coupling cap can be changed pretty quickly with a soldering iron...

I have had 4 MOD50s and every single Randall RM amp...I can swap around my current stable of 4 amps or 2 preamps and not see this issue.

I suppose anything is possible as far as mods go. I'll check it out when I crack it open to install the foglifter. Do you happen to know where I can find a schematic for the MOD50? So I can check values...

Corium_AZ said:
JKD said:

I suppose anything is possible as far as mods go. I'll check it out when I crack it open to install the foglifter. Do you happen to know where I can find a schematic for the MOD50? So I can check values...

Bruce has supplied one in the past based on forum request....search is not so easy on here though...and I couldn't locate with google.

Maybe try [email protected] or ask Rob (Jaded Faith)

Steve