KH-3 Dialing In

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

op1e

Reaction score
I just can't get along with this one. Basically running two channels right now cause the black front SL+ is doing everything. Maybe its the better c3 cap? There's just a high end to it right now, gonna check what 12ax7's are in it. Need a good lead channel at least.

Unless the 12ax7s are bad you're not going to get much of a change swapping them out. For a solo module I like somewhere between a 0.022uf and 0.047uf cap in C3. This will be too loose for a tight rhythm module but gives the meat you need for a good solo tone.

Think I'm gonna see if my old tech can do some quick soldering jobs for me. Hopefully I can source the parts locally thru Radio shack. Definately wanna do the C3 mods on both modules. Thinking .015u for those, and try to get the two caps for the JCM 800 mod on the SL+. Are there any other cap change recommendations for the KH3?

never tried a kh3, but things you can tweek for taming highs:

1). what tubes? if it has EH 12ax7's (bright tubes) take those out and install some JJ 12ax7s

2). Install a 250pf - 500pf cap in the tube riser board c1t or c2t spot

3). of course c3. I tend to like 0.0022uf there. CrunchBunch mentioned c3, I think he made a typo when he suggested 0.022 and 0.047uf. this would be way too large there, I think he meant 0.0022 or 0.0047

4). c8, and c9, use 0.022uf

5). use mallory (CDE) 150's in c3, c8, c9, and perhaps c17, and c16. These are warmer sounding caps.

CrazyNutz said:
... of course c3. I tend to like 0.0022uf there. CrunchBunch mentioned c3, I think he made a typo when he suggested 0.022 and 0.047uf. this would be way too large there, I think he meant 0.0022 or 0.0047...

For a high gain rhythm module I like 0.001 there, but for a lead module you need lots of frequencies right across the spectrum to thicken single notes out. For this reason a 0.022uF C3 is about as "tight" as I would go. It is after all, the input coupling cap for the module. Carve too much off there are you risk making your high gain lead sound to sharp and brittle.

I have it dialed in to where I don't hate it now. The SL+ is going for the lead channel. The KH-3 is gonna be a donor module for something. I'm torn between 6550, S1S0, and Angel. It's gonna be my module for the 7 string stuff. I kinda go from an early Steph Carpenter/old metalcore tone on our 6 string set, (SL+ does fine) but need a different module dialed in to handle our 7 string songs that are in A standard and drop G.