Modules for Lead Work

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt_Tippy

Reaction score
What Modules do you guys use for Lead Work?

I'm sure I already know what a lot of them might be, but don't hesitate to repeat.

Curious if there are any I'm missing on my Radar.

Mattfig said:
One module to rule them all for leads...

Legend....It's silky smooth and still cuts through a mix....Some special Salvation voodoo in this one....

Yeah I'm starting to regret passing that one up on my last order.

The JF Hammerhead is awesome for searing lead work that'll cut through a mix. The JF RVerb, SL-OD100, Blackout and 6550 are all great modules hands down, SG Diablo if you can get your hands on it, Salvation Chupabra (options a plenty), Salvation MarkUs...what else is there that's bad to the bone for lead work?

I used the JF SL-OD100 for years. Great, searing lead tone.

Recently, since we play mainly rock & pop covers, I've started using the JF OD Special instead. It less aggressive & just seems to sit a bit better with the type of music we're playing

VitaminG said:
I used the JF SL-OD100 for years. Great, searing lead tone.

I really regret selling mine, it's one of the few mods I really miss, I'm going to have to look for another one.

Yeah Jaymz the MarkUS might be the best module I currently have for Leads but I have that Module doing other duty... maybe I need 2 LoL

You really seem to like the JF Mods. I have some JF Mods I like, but I like the Salvo's better for the most part. I had an SG Criminal but I sold it to Russ. I actually never looked at that module specifically just for lead work before I sold it. Maybe I should have. Actually the only Module I've ever been able to force myself to sell hah I kept thinking it was a mistake to sell but I never played the thing and it just sat here on the shelf. Then one day I was like **** it.

You both seem to like the SL-OD100. I have the Salvado. The SL is similar sounding? Or Not? The Salvado is a good Module, but kinda lacking something to my ears. Maybe it just sounds too 80's to me. That's probably what it is. I dunno though. I'm trying to figure it out so that's why I asked this question. Maybe stir some **** up in my brain talking about it.

I almost ordered a Legend a few weeks ago but I got 3 other Mods instead and didn't wanna pony up for the 4th. Maybe I still will. I really don't know 100% what tone I'm looking for. Just trying to get ideas.

I really like the OD Special VitaminG. I own 2 of them. I might plug one of those in and give it a listen. That module has a lot of clarity and probably more balls than most people give it credit for.

I dunno, but keep talking... Its helping Thanks!

Mattfig said:
For leads, SLO is a good option too...Very smooth OD....The Salvation Salvado X99 excels in this dept also and has a clean and crunch channel....It's an all in one mod...

Yeah Matt I listened to that x99 Module. It might be the same issue for me as the Salvado. It's for sure probably a great Module though. I actually had an x99 preamp here at my house once and we compared it to the Salvado. They were very close.

HumbleOD could be an option although I need to do a better demo....It's probably what you seek to be honest after thinking about it....This or Legend....But you're not a gain guy and the Humble has plenty on tap anyway....Just my thoughts.....Just fly up here and play them all already!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKmPb5zVoPc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgj4HrrWM7M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dydgXUkaUU

Wait, Matt, So SLO is something different than SLOD100? Or you're talking about the same Module?

Capt_Tippy said:
Wait, Matt, So SLO is something different than SLOD100? Or you're talking about the same Module?

I just meant the SLO tone in general.....Sorry to be vague....I had an SLOD100 at one time and it was pretty smooth and liquid but also oozes 80s in it's tone...Just by the nature of the beast...

Yeah that HumbleOD has been on my Radar for a bit.

I actually do like a lot of gain, but I just don't like noise. So if an amp or Module gets noisy I cut the gain back til the noise is to a level I can stand it. I like powerful gain where you can still hear the individual notes clearly.

..but yeah HumbleOD has been in my mind for a while.

Too cold up there to fly up this month LoL

Its 17F here today. What's it there -47F? LoL

It's a balmy 17 Degrees here right now....lol.....Legend and Humble are both relatively low noise in comparison to what you already have....They both let you keep the gain up without much noise beyond what is expected of a tube amp....

Mattfig said:
It's a balmy 17 Degrees here right now....lol.....Legend and Humble are both relatively low noise in comparison to what you already have....They both let you keep the gain up without much noise beyond what is expected of a tube amp....

Yeah, probably should have gotten the Legend. I just really thought I wanted the Mamba. Like I said... I like high gain, I just don't like a lot of high gain amps cause they are noisy. Mamba isn't really noisy or anything, but its kinda the same as a lot of other Modules I already have. Nothing new really. It'll just sit here probably. Wanna trade me a Brand New Mamba for a Legend? ;)

My best sounding lead module (so far) is a stock chrome face recto. I have two inbound modules (one modified, one unmodified) that I expect to sound much better for lead.

I believe my "luck" with the recto module (compared to so many others that I've read) stems from my Mesa v30 cab (seems most are using greenback type speakers?) and the fact that I have had a roadster as my main amp for the past 7.5 years, it just feels more at home.

JMMP said:
My best sounding lead module (so far) is a stock chrome face recto. I have two inbound modules (one modified, one unmodified) that I expect to sound much better for lead.

I believe my "luck" with the recto module (compared to so many others that I've read) stems from my Mesa v30 cab (seems most are using greenback type speakers?) and the fact that I have had a roadster as my main amp for the past 7.5 years, it just feels more at home.

I have some V30's. They aren't bad. Celestion speakers sound pretty noisy/fuzzy to me in general though. The Mesa Cab I'm sure helps. I use EV, but as a 2nd I'd use an Eminence. Maybe a Legend.

What Modules do you have on the way?