Modules for Lead Work

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Capt_Tippy said:
I have some V30's. They aren't bad. Celestion speakers sound pretty noisy/fuzzy to me in general though. The Mesa Cab I'm sure helps. I use EV, but as a 2nd I'd use an Eminence. Maybe a Legend.

What Modules do you have on the way?

I feel like the cab works well for my Mesa heads, but not sold on it sounding good with other amps I have tried through it (MTS, non Mesa preamps)

I have a 1086 and Mash-oldano on the way. Looking forwards to playing both!

I have an MKC+ Spencer/Matt. It sounds decent.

So that's a no on the trade Matt? LoL

Mattfig said:
Capt_Tippy said:
I have an MKC+ Spencer/Matt. It sounds decent.

So that's a no on the trade Matt? LoL

Yeah, I love the Mamba but will NOT be parting with the Legend anytime soon....It's awesome!

How would you put it?

Clips or its a $27 walmart practice amp?

LoL

yeah I've seen that. If it had impressed me enough, I'd already have the Module ;) I don't want to hear a clip that sounds like Vai. Not sure why people make those clips (and then don't make any other clips) I wanna hear what it sounds like when you play it

That's probably why I still don't own one because I don't like Vai, and that's pretty much the only clip Ive heard.

Capt_Tippy said:
yeah I've seen that. If it had impressed me enough, I'd already have the Module ;) I don't want to hear a clip that sounds like Vai. Not sure why people make those clips (and then don't make any other clips) I wanna hear what it sounds like when you play it

That's probably why I still don't own one because I don't like Vai, and that's pretty much the only clip Ive heard.

Got a guy coming this week, I'll have him do some slick leads for you guys on this mod...

JMMP said:
Capt_Tippy said:
I have some V30's. They aren't bad. Celestion speakers sound pretty noisy/fuzzy to me in general though. The Mesa Cab I'm sure helps. I use EV, but as a 2nd I'd use an Eminence. Maybe a Legend.

What Modules do you have on the way?

I feel like the cab works well for my Mesa heads, but not sold on it sounding good with other amps I have tried through it (MTS, non Mesa preamps)

I have a 1086 and Mash-oldano on the way. Looking forwards to playing both!
the 1086 is a good stock module. I reckon you'll like it.

The two best lead modules I played were the Salvation Camerock and Custom 3. Best part about both, is they can do some much more.

I had the Legend and it was super smooth, good for leads. But it wasn't great for anything else.

IMO, you want a lead module that can do more. Then it will really have it worth. Might also want to consider a JF XTC or Salvo Ecstasy.

Capt_Tippy said:
You really seem to like the JF Mods. I have some JF Mods I like, but I like the Salvo's better for the most part.

I actually started out on the Salvation train myself. I was solely a Salvo dude for whatever reason at the time. Although everyone here is pretty understanding and civil, the ol' JF/Salvo debachle saw things poppin' off a few times in years past. Like religion or politics...it just didn't make for great conversation. Spirited debates, we'll call 'em.

I don't have a lot of modules because I don't have the spare cash to justify collecting these things like Pokemon...because I would if I could. The reason I have and favor JF Mods is because in my honest opinion, they just sound better live. Since I play out a lot, it was discovered that Salvos and JFs are truly different designs altogether. The way I could describe it best, is that Salvos perform better at low volume such as in the studio. They are designed to sound rich, textured, and incredibly accurate at tone matching the amps they are designed after. When you crank them up for the stage, those textures start to loosen, become very noisy in some cases, and the module ends up sounding and feeling much less stable overall.

JF Mods (especially the newer line) actually sound better the louder you crank them. They are made for the stage. They become more stable, more defined...tighter at loud volumes. Its that simple.

One day when I can afford it, I would gladly have a wall of all the great mods by every maker. (I've had a sh!t-ton of mods, even a few SGs. They are also in a class all their own) But yeah. That's why I favor JFs and have slowly phased in into exclusivity.

Of course, opinions WILL vary and I hope I didn't tick anyone off. Hopefully it isn't as sore a subject as it used to be. I think they are both great companies with killer product but they are different enough to allow US to pick what we need, based on what we are trying to accomplish. And I think that's pretty **** cool.

Jaymzrock said:
Capt_Tippy said:
You really seem to like the JF Mods. I have some JF Mods I like, but I like the Salvo's better for the most part.

I actually started out on the Salvation train myself. I was solely a Salvo dude for whatever reason at the time. Although everyone here is pretty understanding and civil, the ol' JF/Salvo debachle saw things poppin' off a few times in years past. Like religion or politics...it just didn't make for great conversation. Spirited debates, we'll call 'em.

I don't have a lot of modules because I don't have the spare cash to justify collecting these things like Pokemon...because I would if I could. The reason I have and favor JF Mods is because in my honest opinion, they just sound better live. Since I play out a lot, it was discovered that Salvos and JFs are truly different designs altogether. The way I could describe it best, is that Salvos perform better at low volume such as in the studio. They are designed to sound rich, textured, and incredibly accurate at tone matching the amps they are designed after. When you crank them up for the stage, those textures start to loosen, become very noisy in some cases, and the module ends up sounding and feeling much less stable overall.

JF Mods (especially the newer line) actually sound better the louder you crank them. They are made for the stage. They become more stable, more defined...tighter at loud volumes. Its that simple.

One day when I can afford it, I would gladly have a wall of all the great mods by every maker. (I've had a sh!t-ton of mods, even a few SGs. They are also in a class all their own) But yeah. That's why I favor JFs and have slowly phased in into exclusivity.

Of course, opinions WILL vary and I hope I didn't tick anyone off. Hopefully it isn't as sore a subject as it used to be. I think they are both great companies with killer product but they are different enough to allow US to pick what we need, based on what we are trying to accomplish. And I think that's pretty **** cool.

Funny, I have mods from both and think that Salvo mods hold up much better under the demands of a live situation...But that's the beauty of tone, in the ear of the mod holder....I'm just glad there's still options for people to get the tones they want through MTS....Synergy has been stringing everyone along with no hard release date for years now....Salvation and Jaded Faith have kept it rolling, for that I am thankful!

Yeah I can see that Jaymz,

For me though, I have found I am able to use my gear and signal chain to tame down some of the noise (lets call it) in the Salvation Modules. I run 2 RM100's and I have them up pretty loud when I'm playing live. To me they sound great! People do the bow down move at my amps when they hear them LoL The JF Modules are definitely cleaner and less wild (lets call them) but they are (for lack of a better word and not to start an argument with anyone) boring/lackluster/mundane in comparison.

..but, I have some JF Modules that I like a lot.

1. Plexi/Tweed that I love the Plexi side of. I don't care for what the tweed switch does, but the Plexi side is a really nice stable solid Module. I usually end up with the gain maxed out and wish it had just a tiny bit more, but it really has a nice solid tone to it.
2. I have an ODS that I really like. Awesome Module that Rob discontinued and I can't imagine why. (Maybe his new ODS is similar and better, but I'm not convinced from the clips)
3. The Vybe is a nice Module. Although as I said in another thread recently, I prefer the Salvation Twinface for Fender tones. The Vybe has it's thing too though.
4. I have an MKC+. It's a way different module than Anthony's MarkUS. For what the MKC+ is, I really like it a lot. It's very similar sounding to my GigMods Mark which I also like a lot. I keep flipping the MKC+ and GigMods Mark and the DreadPlate in the same slot, and really can't figure out which I prefer in that location.

I've had a few JF Modules that I didn't much care for as well.. The CaliLead is one that I didn't like. I have a Trilogy that I like, but Ive never really found any situation where I wanted to use it for actually playing anything. (If you know what I mean by that). I've also owned an SG Criminal Module which was cool, but I ended up selling it to Russ. ..and etc

I get what you're saying for sure, but for me I have found a different result. For my favorite tones I have found Modules like the JJ, the DreadPlate (which took me a while to cozy up to), the AngelE, the TwinFace, MarkUS, Matchvox, and others. You do have to know how to dial that **** in though. You def need to learn to back away from the gain knob.

The JF Modules just lack energy and excitement. I guess that would be a good way to say it. They are good and solid, but the Harmonic content is less and they just sound plain. I dunno. Just my opinion, and don't want to get in a big debate.

I guess the reason I made that comment was, given the lack of Harmonic content that I have found in most JF Modules, trying to find one for my lead tones (which is what this thread was started for), isn't something I'd even consider... ...but I did start this thread to see if I could get someone to give me some new ideas and ways of looking at things. Which people have, and I'm open to hearing some more.

What I've ended up doing (so far) is revisiting Modules such as the MashAll+ and etc looking for Lead tones. Still haven't figured it out....

Capt_Tippy said:
Yeah I can see that Jaymz,

For me though, I have found I am able to use my gear and signal chain to tame down some of the noise (lets call it) in the Salvation Modules. I run 2 RM100's and I have them up pretty loud when I'm playing live. To me they sound great! People do the bow down move at my amps when they hear them LoL The JF Modules are definitely cleaner and less wild (lets call them) but they are (for lack of a better word and not to start an argument with anyone) boring/lackluster/mundane in comparison.

..but, I have some JF Modules that I like a lot.

1. Plexi/Tweed that I love the Plexi side of. I don't care for what the tweed switch does, but the Plexi side is a really nice stable solid Module. I usually end up with the gain maxed out and wish it had just a tiny bit more, but it really has a nice solid tone to it.
2. I have an ODS that I really like. Awesome Module that Rob discontinued and I can't imagine why. (Maybe his new ODS is similar and better, but I'm not convinced from the clips)
3. The Vybe is a nice Module. Although as I said in another thread recently, I prefer the Salvation Twinface for Fender tones. The Vybe has it's thing too though.
4. I have an MKC+. It's a way different module than Anthony's MarkUS. For what the MKC+ is, I really like it a lot. It's very similar sounding to my GigMods Mark which I also like a lot. I keep flipping the MKC+ and GigMods Mark and the DreadPlate in the same slot, and really can't figure out which I prefer in that location.

I've had a few JF Modules that I didn't much care for as well.. The CaliLead is one that I didn't like. I have a Trilogy that I like, but Ive never really found any situation where I wanted to use it for actually playing anything. (If you know what I mean by that). I've also owned an SG Criminal Module which was cool, but I ended up selling it to Russ. ..and etc

I get what you're saying for sure, but for me I have found a different result. For my favorite tones I have found Modules like the JJ, the DreadPlate (which took me a while to cozy up to), the AngelE, the TwinFace, MarkUS, Matchvox, and others. You do have to know how to dial that s*&t in though. You def need to learn to back away from the gain knob.

The JF Modules just lack energy and excitement. I guess that would be a good way to say it. They are good and solid, but the Harmonic content is less and they just sound plain. I dunno. Just my opinion, and don't want to get in a big debate.

I guess the reason I made that comment was, given the lack of Harmonic content that I have found in most JF Modules, trying to find one for my lead tones (which is what this thread was started for), isn't something I'd even consider... ...but I did start this thread to see if I could get someone to give me some new ideas and ways of looking at things. Which people have, and I'm open to hearing some more.

What I've ended up doing (so far) is revisiting Modules such as the MashAll+ and etc looking for Lead tones. Still haven't figured it out....

Much like CoriumAZ needs a Twinface, you need a Legend....Or a HumbleOD....Just sayin...
:)

Perhaps... I just want to make sure I revisit all the Modules I already own before I buy another. I have quite a few LoL. I've been tempted to order the Legend recently though Matt. I might also wanna try a Masholdano too which I've never played. I think part of my problem is finding the right effects to put on my Lead tones. I recently hooked up the Lexicon and it seemed to help a lot with finding some Lead tones I like with my existing Modules. Good chance Ill get around to the Legend eventually though.

Capt_Tippy said:
Perhaps... I just want to make sure I revisit all the Modules I already own before I buy another. I have quite a few LoL. I've been tempted to order the Legend recently though Matt. I might also wanna try a Masholdano too which I've never played. I think part of my problem is finding the right effects to put on my Lead tones. I recently hooked up the Lexicon and it seemed to help a lot with finding some Lead tones I like with my existing Modules. Good chance Ill get around to the Legend eventually though.

You might just need a nice Tonewheel Boost!!! Demo coming today!

I've thought about that too. ;) I have a nice compressor/sustainer in front of my amps, but I've wondered about the tonewheel. It does seem interesting.

Capt_Tippy said:
I've thought about that too. ;) I have a nice compressor/sustainer in front of my amps, but I've wondered about the tonewheel. It does seem interesting.

I'm putting it in front of the Mashall+ for the demo...Should really show it off well....Perfect for that little kick for solos...

Hell, I'll play. Lead tones for different reasons...

EG5
MHG
Tsunami*
Shiver (on Facelift)
S1S0
Buddy
Camerock*
Toxin
More Scary*
Quick Mod
SL OD 100*****

The noise level on JF Mods are definitely lower than Salvation's, no doubt. The JF amp mods significantly reduce the noise on Salvation Mods. I'm not sure why more of your amps haven't been modded; amp noise sucks. I do understand it's costly, but well worth the money. I'm probably going to off a few more modules to modify my MOD50 combo. Also, considering keeping the MOD100 and doing the same. I'd rather have less tones and make the ones I do possess better. At that point, I can throw my G-String in the garbage. The pedal, not my underwear. I'd never throw those out. My amps have less noise AND more tone with the JF modded amps and no G-String. You may think the G-String isn't sucking tone, but it is. My $0.02.

Well Modded how drew? One of my RM's is straight from Rob. I didn't have a lot of work done to it, but I had a little done. Exactly what Mods are you referring to that are going to make my RM's less noisy?

BTW I don't really think my amps are noisy. I mean they have some noise, but so does every other amp I have. Including my RM4's. They don't seem any "more" noisy than anything else.

Camerock is def on my list of Mods I wanna try out that I haven't.

My main purpose for starting this thread was just to drum up conversation and maybe stir up some of my brain cells. I think when it's all said and done I'm not going to be happy with any tone I've already heard... I'm just not sure what it is I'm looking for, or where I'm going to find it.

I'm currently (and yes I really mean this and I'm not pulling anyone's chain) running 3 Modules at a time in many different combinations, and 4 different parallel effects loops. 1 of which has 4 parallel loops within that one loop. Plus I also have the obvious 3 series loops running with each of the 3 Modules. I have 3 different reverbs including a Lexicon. I'm running it all through 3 different cab's. I have many other effects in the loops in many different places and cfg's (Not that I really use that many effects at any one time. I really don't use that many effects, but when I do I'm very particular how they are routed) I doubt I could play through a single amp at this point and be even the slightest bit happy with the tone.

Just throwin that out there LoL.

I do have a problem with one of my gates sucking a little tone on one of my signal chains (which I'm going to work on), but the other one is pretty invisible. Yes I have 2 ISP's running in that mess LoL.

...but what Mod's? Transformer etc?

drewiv said:
Hell, I'll play. Lead tones for different reasons...

EG5
MHG
Tsunami*
Shiver (on Facelift)
S1S0
Buddy
Camerock*
Toxin
More Scary*
Quick Mod
SL OD 100*****

So the SLOD100 is your Fav drew? Tsunami/Camerock/MoreScary next? SLOD100 much different from the Salvado?