Has MTS ever let you down?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMMP

Reaction score
As the title says, has MTS ever let you down? I don't mean tonally so much as durability/ reliability. I am wondering if these amps and modules are built to hold up for many years to come, especially compared to other amps/ preamps available.
Thanks for any responses!

I have had some modules in heavy use for 5+ years....The amps I have had problems with, the mods, none...A tube will go out or a pot gets scratchy, that's normal....Totally die? Never...

The amps have had some known issues with arching and other random issues here but nothing that can't be fixed up....I feel confident taking an RM50 to a gig still....I bring a backup but that's just common sense...

I've been playing and gigging my RM100 for a good 5 years now - regular heavy use. Never had one problem I didnt cause myself. And, I never bring a backup. One of the most reliable pieces of gear I own!

I gigged with my Mod50 combo for 2 years before going the digital route. Never a problem. Only thing I ever did was change tubes.

Had an early RM100 that, while it never failed, needed the wire wrap mod to prevent arcing....it was rock solid.

I also sent an RM100 to Egnater for dual module conversion....he did the wire wrap and fixed the presence/density plus couple of later production updates whilst doing the mod. It never failed though....often wonder where that amp is now.

Also had an RM50 that completely blew a hole in the circuit board/burnt out due to same issue. This was back in the days Randall had support though...sent me a new mainboard with wire wrap fix and i self installed - it's been trouble free ever since.

TLDR; I've had over 10 of these suckers and only one actually failed.

I've been hammering my RM100 head for not quite 2 years now and I think I've blown 1 fuse due to a bad tube. I'm very trusting of this amp. I also have an RM50 that's never failed me, but I've never used it as a workhorse. Out of curiosity does anyone know when Randall fixed the arcing issues?

I have an RT2 RM4. The RT2 used to cut out after half and hour. Then I figured on separating them in the rack so that air acted as insulation and the problem went away. The only complaint I have is that the rig is physically big and weighs a ton, which makes it tough to fit into a tight gig.

Adding to this, had a single channel M4 that had intermittent noise/signal problem.

I traced it back to the input connections, there's one on front and one on back but they all go through one cable to feed the signal to the module backplane (from memory)

I think one section of the cable failed due to heat, worked fine after placing it.