MTS Forum Forum Index
Discussion forum for Synergy, Egnater & Randall MTS Amps & Modules

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Module Plans for 2017

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpitfireMusic
RM50

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Module Plans for 2017 Reply with quote

So I know it's been a little stale around here so I figured I'd share my ideas for consolidating my collection of 15 modules to 7 most of which are stockers. Been a long time coming that I break down and send things to Rob at Jaded Faith and Salvation Audio/Motor City Mods.

So without disclosing who'll be doing what here are the amps my seven modules will be based on.

1. Blackface era fender vibrolux
2. Tweed era Fender Bandmaster 5e7 (the amp Pete Townshend used for Who's Next with a Gretsch 6120)
3. Dr Z Maz Sr that can do clean to light crunch
4. Dr Z Z Wreck (amp designed by Brad paisley, Dr z and Ken Fischer of trainwreck)
5. Hiwatt CP-103 (Pete Townsend signature model)
6. Orange OR120
7. Bogner Shiva or XTC (looking for the fat, chewy hot rodded marshall tone that can also get into some more modern high gain without losing the vintagey tone)

So does anyone else have anything they'd like to get done?
MusiciansFriend.com's Deal Center
JMMP
RM20

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm planning to send off some modules to get modded by Rob. Really interested in the Ubersonic, Hammerhead, and Cali-Lead. Eventually I'd like to get an SL2X, or perhaps Jeff will come out of retirement and mod again.
SpitfireMusic
RM50

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too think the hammerhead looks like an amazing module unfortunately I predominantly do blues, classic rock, and the occasional pop and country so I don't use tons of high gain. Hence my reasoning for trying to use something in the Shiva or XTC vein. I'd have the familiar plexi-ish voice but the ability to go heavy if needed.
withmittens
Lynch Box

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that list is great. i can;t wait to see them. I'm starting to get interested in some additional mods. I've fallen out of interest with the Synergy. My go-to modder can do anything

Please share your process if you can
SG, LP Std., Strat
SpitfireMusic
RM50

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I've just decided to go after my favorite amps and some less common choices.

I'd love to check out synergy but seems like it'll be a long time coming. Definitely intrigued by 65amps doing mods
withmittens
Lynch Box

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect any brand names doing mods will pretty much be following the same schematics and adjusting from there. I don't expect miles ahead. Not that it won;t be cool
SG, LP Std., Strat
SpitfireMusic
RM50

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Jaded Faith and Salvation in my experience seem like they could do as well or surpass the quality of synergy with their work.

And to me the randall platform is definitely the lowest price of admission compared to egnater or synergy. And with some tweaks and mods may outperform them all. I'm gonna have Rob do mercury magnetics transformers later this year and probably have him kinda tune my head more in the vintage/boutique direction for response, feel and tone. To get the most out of my personal module collection.

The fact that within reason Rob and Anthony respectively can turn just about any amp into a module and nail the essence of those amps is nothing short of spectacular. Since to me at least while not always bad the stock modules leave a bit to be desired. Though to be fair many stockers were designed as interpretations of classic and modern amps.

The one benefit to having amp makers helping/affiliated with synergy is that they would have access to more schematics typically and would be getting credit for their designs (not really a benefit per se to the end user) but definitely something that might keep the game going longer and healthier for the industry as all parties have something to gain. And perhaps it may evolve the modular platform.
Mattfig
Donating Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally am curious how Synergy matches up with Salvation Mods....That is a really high bar that is set....Rob's got a few winners too so hopefully everyone wins...

Kemper Profiles -
www.mattfig.com
SpitfireMusic
RM50

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt

I'm very curious about this as well it just seems that what can be done currently almost defies the expectations of the modular platform. It is truly remarkable how much can be done in the confines of MTS in the right hands.
JKD
Donating Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At one point I had almost everything in my collection....because most mods had something of value to bring to the table, yeah having >$10k tied up in mods was kinds fun, if a little alarming....all I see is Synergy adding to the pallet and hopefully keeping something in production for a while longer.

Randall is already vintage gear, as is Egnater....at some point the modders will stop production....so it's good the have Synergy as an option.
Gigmods - Mark
Hilly-Snorkeler
Egnater -COD
Randall - Brahma,Scary, Grail, GTO, SuperV
Capt_Tippy
RM100

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JKD wrote:
Randall is already vintage gear, as is Egnater....at some point the modders will stop production....so it's good the have Synergy as an option.

The music scene in CZ is way different than it is in the US, UK or AU. Anthony isn't going to stop making mods for a very long time yet. s*&t is in full swing over there.

You're correct. I probably have no idea what I'm talking about. I'm not even sure why I bothered to say anything in the 1st place.
Mattfig
Donating Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No plans to stop on any fronts....Still plenty of viable donors leftover, sure at some point they'll run out, but not anytime soon... Smile Synergy might very well be making future Salvation donors as we speak.... Wink I say this jokingly, but people are never fully happy with their mods...I've found when a mod gets close to a person's tone in their head, they want it modded closer and taken to extremes...Anthony can make everything sound better..

Kemper Profiles -
www.mattfig.com
withmittens
Lynch Box

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mattfig wrote:
No plans to stop on any fronts....Still plenty of viable donors leftover, sure at some point they'll run out, but not anytime soon... Smile Synergy might very well be making future Salvation donors as we speak.... Wink I say this jokingly, but people are never fully happy with their mods...I've found when a mod gets close to a person's tone in their head, they want it modded closer and taken to extremes...Anthony can make everything sound better..

been expecting this to happen all along. My bet is sooner than later, if they make it to market sooner
SG, LP Std., Strat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTS Forum Forum Index -> Modules All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: