DIY RM4

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrohlf301

Reaction score
Self explanatory. I can't find many used rm4s, and the ones I can find are in not-so-good condition. So is there anyone who knows how to recreate a RM4?

My bass player and I built a custom RM2 long ago as we couldn't find anything MTS out here on the west coast at the time (we also modded our preamps to be as close as possible to the real deal).

We didn't add MIDI, and otherwise it's straight forward if you understand HV tube circuits. Creating the card slots and doing the metal work was the hardest part (which is typically the case).

We also added the RM20-22 V1b pre-preamp boost as well, which is quite useful. We didn't do the post-preamp solid state boost, just the tube based pre-preamp boost with the unused triode in the chassis.

We have a discreet Class A 50W solid state power amp in it, and I typically use the Two Notes Torpedo CAB/WOS III, or Peavey's ReValver for modeled tube power amp sims (CAB live, the plugins in the studio).

That whole 4U rig loaded with two preamps weighs in at 30lbs in a rolling rack, with the Axe FX, Torpedo CAB, and a power strip in the back.

The rig can deliver real tube tone at any volume, DI'd and/or through speakers (guitar or FRFR).

Here's a pic...

Girlie%20Rack.jpg

...our latest is the Dumble Skyliner #124...

ODS_FP_02.jpg

Note that the Synergy stuff is supposedly going to be released soon, though that's been rumored for quite a while with no results etc?

jrohlf301 said:
Self explanatory. I can't find many used rm4s, and the ones I can find are in not-so-good condition. So is there anyone who knows how to recreate a RM4?

You have a 50W Class A solidstate amp in there? How does that fit? You would need huge heatsinks.

I can build you a RM4, situated in Europe. But it would get pretty expensive, I am guessing around 800 euro. Second-hand RM4 would be far more economical.

Definitely bookmarking this thread for future reference
Potentially useful for a possible project...