Anybody ever converted a combo into a head / cab?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christianguitarman

Reaction score
I've got an RM80 and I absolutely HATE the shape and being trapped with the same 2 speakers all the time. Has anybody ever repackaged their combo into a head and cab? Does anybody have an old head shell laying around they could sell? How about the custom mod guys? Any of them do anything like this? Looking for any help or suggestions. Thanks!

There is an rm50 combo shell on eBay. Don't know if the rm80 would fit.

That probably isn't much help.

Think I've seen an rm20 combo that was chopped down to a head only.

Don't see why you couldn't peel the tolex back and shorten the cabinet sides and reuse the bottom then trim the tolex and reglue it with contact cement.

Not sure this is much help but it's relatively easy to move my mod-50 from combo to a head.

I made in the past with a Marshall combo. The question how professional look you want. The good news is that RM50 head has the controls on the upper side of the head which means that if you convert your combo it will be very similar to the layout of RM50 head. I suggest to make it by a professional to be able to sell later (if neccessary). It will cost between $100-150 by my experience. If you dont't want to sell it, a carpenter can make a nice polished and finished wooden box very fast and cheap. If you sell the 2 speakers, can reduce the costs.

Removing old tolex can be a solution but takes time, so the overall cost can be cheaper if you use new one as it is not so expensive. You can reuse the logo and the grill material as well.

19417178_10155332974140930_7634432880390285240_o.jpg

Just a little something I've been working on. A new box for my RM20 combo, now a head.
Had to learn a lot of new skills but I'm pleased with how its come it. Been going to a community high school wood working class.

Just need to oil, stain or wax the wood and find a nice handle for it and rock the **** out.