Best preamp tube for increased headroom?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ricey

Reaction score
What would be the best replacement preamp tube(s); e.g., 12AY7, to increase headroom in a stock Randall Tweed Module. I can get a great sparkly clean tone with the gain below 10 o'clock, but it starts breaking up quite a bit after that with humbuckers. I am using that module in channel 1 in my RM100 combo as my primary clean channel, so I would really like some additional headroom. Can tubes be mixed and matched in the modules; e.g., mix a 12AY7 with a 12AX7 or do they both need to be the same? GC has lower gain 12AT7s, not 12AY7s, but I notice 12AT7s seem to be mostly be used as phase inverter tubes, so I did not buy one.

You can mix types in a module without any problems. I have had luck even using a 12at7 in either one or both positions of Fender type modules. I've mixed 12at7's with au7's and ax7's in any arrangement and it changes the headroom to varying degrees.

But, 5751 is great too and sort of between a 12ax7 and a 12au7. You usually have to go somewhere online to find them since GC probably won't stock then.

Whatever you choose, I recommend using a JJ brand in the right hand tube (looking at the face plate / knobs) position.