Dirty Sanchez MTS mod based on Dirty Shirley

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CrazyNutz said:
Here's a crappy phone recording:
https://soundcloud.com/user-864489142/dstest

Gives good impression of what it sounds like in room....missing quote a lot of low end....due to (phone) recording method?

Great choice of song to! \m/

Yes, and no. I had the bass knob at 1/3, mids at 1/2, and Treb. Dimed

It has plenty bass on tap, I just had it rolled back to keep my phone mic from farting out.

JKD said:
CrazyNutz said:
Here's a crappy phone recording:
https://soundcloud.com/user-864489142/dstest

Gives good impression of what it sounds like in room....missing quote a lot of low end....due to (phone) recording method?

Great choice of song to! \m/

With the help of CrazyNuts I've completed the DS mod. Don't know how to read a schematic so he was able to find where I went wrong and made corrections. Thanks CrazyNuts

This mod sounds great. It's structure is planted firmly in the Marshall camp put with more gain than a plexi, more open and toppy than a vintage Marshall yet still has a full bottom end. I'm going to add a switch for High/Low input and a mid shift. possibly a tightness switch as well, which it needs at higher gain settings.

I'm going to make some quick clips this weekend before the additional mods.

This is just my first impression and I'll try to compare it to the clips on YouTube for what that's worth. I really like my Duoplex for lower gain Marshall tones but this DS goes higher in the gain, maybe toward an 800 but possibly more gain than that. it's very touch sensitive and cleaner settings are very punchy and lush, although as a whole the mod is on the brighter side of all this but in a very good way. Still has good chug and thump on the bottom. Very Vintage, which is my flavor

Thanks again CrazyNuts. It's worth doing this mod for sure

EDIT:

I made some clips but they sound like **** because of my mic setup. I'll try again soon

Such a great thread, very much appreciated. Inspired me to start doing some soldering as well. Thanks Crazynuts!!

BTW, what circuit do you use for clean sounds, any specific mods there? Would it be possible to build a true fender AB763 preamp circuit using the mts layout?

Awesome, you are welcome.

I have only one clean MTS module, and its the "clean" module. So far I have not spent much time on it. I have however replaced all the film caps with orange drop 716p caps. That made a nice improvement. At some point I will sketch out the schematic so I can know what I'm working with.

As far as AB763 preamp, yes most likely (minus reverb and such), I suspect the Deluxe module is pretty much this.

blacksun said:
Such a great thread, very much appreciated. Inspired me to start doing some soldering as well. Thanks Crazynuts!!

BTW, what circuit do you use for clean sounds, any specific mods there? Would it be possible to build a true fender AB763 preamp circuit using the mts layout?

I'm trying to find the time to do some modding and let there be yet another Dirty Sanchez monster! Which donors would be most suitable to start out from?

This pic is from Anthony's site www.salvationaudio.com and it does almost imply that most of the gainier modules are built based on the same architecture.
COMPATIBILITY-CHART-SALVATION-2014.jpg

If there is a common module architecture for randall modules (with the exception of grail, treadplate, recto/rectified, xtc, blackface/deluxe/kh1) could you, if you find the time that is, point out which components to go where?

I could also of course take a pic of a donor..

Cheers

Great to have another fan of the platform with killer modding skills! \m/

Great work there Mr. nutz!!

Can't afford to send anything to Salvation or Jaded right now, I think I am going to play with a plexi module I have laying around and put the Metroamp/Friedman specs for Ed's amp in it and see what we get, I modded a old marshall a friend had with those specs and I really like that amp, chewy with a lot of spank on the top end.

Great to see MTS living on.

Wondering how this went for everyone. I love mine but have set it aside lately for something with more bass response. The mids on this DS is great but needed that beef Marshall sound.

I wonder if anyone made any tweaks to the DS to get more bass, or anything else for that matter.

withmittens said:
Wondering how this went for everyone. I love mine but have set it aside lately for something with more bass response. The mids on this DS is great but needed that beef Marshall sound.

I wonder if anyone made any tweaks to the DS to get more bass, or anything else for that matter.

replace c3 with a 0.0047uf (or just tack another 0.0022uf to the existing one)
see if that gets you where you want to be.

I'll revisit my DS soon, have several projects going at once right now.

hey CrazyNuts. I am finally getting round to doing this and the HBE mods.

Could you please re-up the photos if you can? they don't seem to be displaying anymore.

Thanks!

djahm said:
hey CrazyNuts. I am finally getting round to doing this and the HBE mods.

Could you please re-up the photos if you can? they don't seem to be displaying anymore.

Thanks!

Yes, i'll have to find them

Thanks! I'll do the C45 switch as well, but I can handle that with the info already posted.

djahm said:
Thanks! I'll do the C45 switch as well, but I can handle that with the info already posted.

The C45/HBE combo is one of the greatest modded Marshall things ever put out...

I had a Dual Egnater modded by Dave one time with that combo on Ch A/B.....one of those modules I should never have given up.

Here is my V3 with the gain pot relocated to the correct location. This is how the actual BE100 is wired.

rH98od.jpg

CrazyNutz said:
replace c3 with a 0.0047uf (or just tack another 0.0022uf to the existing one)
see if that gets you where you want to be.

I'll revisit my DS soon, have several projects going at once right now.

Yes, this worked great, thanks. warmth and beef is present but still defined and can be dialed out to more mid hump. much better