Waiting on a comparison demo

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lintycreep

Reaction score
It's great that Synergy is finally here. I would love to see a demo of old modules in a Synergy (pre)amp go up against the new modules. I don't think I can purchase one until I see a unbiased review. I was hoping someone here would have done this already, but I guess it is still pretty new. Would love to see the Soldano module vs a JF/SM version.

Spencer4hire said:
I would be curious if the JF/Salvation modules sound better or worse through the Synergy hardware.

Define better?

I would say the Synergy modules sound better than their modded counterparts. Tighter/clarity and perhaps sound gainer - part of that recipie is in the module, part in the input circuit of the amp (in my case SYN2.)

That said, I sincerely doubt you would hear it on a recording and it could even be explained away by different preamp tubes.

I'll have an SLO side by side with a Salvation on Weds...I could literally A/B them in the SYN2.

I will also have a VH4 with the DZilla and Benzin....you will notice the latter two are already up for sale...I am that sure, based on my experience with the BE/HBE.

I don't know if you'd call that biased but I drank the kool aid a long time ago.

I am just wondering if the Synergy amps are better sounding than the Egnater/Randall versions. I am not looking to get rid of my many modded modules but if the amps sound better I might be willing to upgrade to a Synergy one. I am glad you are enjoying the Synergy gear after such a long wait.

Yeah, the demos are going to be a deciding factor for me, but not by much. The one I'd love to hear is an EG5 vs the new SLO.

I have all ideas the Metroplex, AC, DS and BE/HBE are going to sound better than my current Egnater VX and SL2X mods. Maybe even the upgraded T/D vs my Eggie T/D.
Not that the Egnater modules sound bad (no way), it's just that the EG5 does what it does SO WELL (IMO): big, tight, flat/full mids hi-gain with abundant treble if you want it.

Bucksears said:
Yeah, the demos are going to be a deciding factor for me, but not by much. The one I'd love to hear is an EG5 vs the new SLO.

I have all ideas the Metroplex, AC, DS and BE/HBE are going to sound better than my current Egnater VX and SL2X mods. Maybe even the upgraded T/D vs my Eggie T/D.
Not that the Egnater modules sound bad (no way), it's just that the EG5 does what it does SO WELL (IMO): big, tight, flat/full mids hi-gain with abundant treble if you want it.

If we're all honest...couldn't we have made do with that EG5? Close enough for that tone right?

My expectation of the SLO is that it's going to be very close to that EG5 or a Salvation Salvado...which by the way has a clean(er) channel on ChA...but maybe with less noise.

The difference is a I get an SLO module from Synergy I think....which in turn came with the blessing of the original amp designer, unless I'm mistaken.

None of this should be taken negatively, all are great products. :D

I was skeptical after having gone in and out of modular over the past 7 years. At the last minute I changed my initial order of a loaded Syn2 to a Syn1 with a SLO mod. Wish I hadn't. IMHO This new gear is a game changer. The SLO is chewy, 3D sounding, has sizzle and a nice bottom end and doesn't sound the least bit sterile or small when A/B into the loop of my JVM. It sounds like another channel of my amp and that is exactly what I was looking for.

gtrlw said:
I was skeptical after having gone in and out of modular over the past 7 years. At the last minute I changed my initial order of a loaded Syn2 to a Syn1 with a SLO mod. Wish I hadn't. IMHO This new gear is a game changer. The SLO is chewy, 3D sounding, has sizzle and a nice bottom end and doesn't sound the least bit sterile or small when A/B into the loop of my JVM. It sounds like another channel of my amp and that is exactly what I was looking for.

Where is the like button?

Define better?

I would say the Synergy modules sound better than their modded counterparts. Tighter/clarity and perhaps sound gainer - part of that recipie is in the module, part in the input circuit of the amp (in my case SYN2.)

That said, I sincerely doubt you would hear it on a recording and it could even be explained away by different preamp tubes.

I'll have an SLO side by side with a Salvation on Weds...I could literally A/B them in the SYN2.

I will also have a VH4 with the DZilla and Benzin....you will notice the latter two are already up for sale...I am that sure, based on my experience with the BE/HBE.

I don't know if you'd call that biased but I drank the kool aid a long time ago.

Can't wait to hear what you think. My initial thought was to go SLO and HBE to pair up with my Friedman Smallbox. How do the BE and HBE channels differ? I realize the HBE is "hairier", but the dual channels are what interest me. Is the 2nd channel of BE close to the 1st channel of HBE?

That's exactly what I was waiting to hear. Think I'm gonna stick with the SYN1 myself. I like the portability of it... would love to see Mark Cameron designed module. If they could put there differences aside, he could make a little cash and they could pull all the Rig-Talkers in without a doubt. Could be a win/win for all.

If anyone is taking requests, I'd love to hear some VH4 clips. I have one on the way, along with an HBE, but the shipment has been indefinitely delayed by Irma-related logistical chaos.

Rising Farce said:
If anyone is taking requests, I'd love to hear some VH4 clips. I have one on the way, along with an HBE, but the shipment has been indefinitely delayed by Irma-related logistical chaos.

Nooooo!

The BE and HBE sound magical, the SLO perhaps even more so.

The VH4 I'm not yet convinced but then I never bonded with DIEZEL tone using vintage pickups and I have three varieties now, time to bust out the EMGs I think!

JKD said:
Rising Farce said:

Nooooo!

The BE and HBE sound magical, the SLO perhaps even more so.

The VH4 I'm not yet convinced but then I never bonded with DIEZEL tone using vintage pickups and I have three varieties now, time to bust out the EMGs I think!

Do it! I need to live vicariously through you until my modules arrive.

MarcoR said:
My Syn-002 and Friedman DS arrived today. Nothing to compare it to but I'll be posting clips soon.

Nice! I really love the DS model in the AX8 and the BE/HBE are phenomenal, I expect the module sounds great \m/

Can't wait to hear some clips as they get into more people's hands

JKD have you bonded anymore w the VH4 or do you still find it dry ?
Also any update on direct out some guys I am seeing say it sounds great no ir
Reqd

I am guessing SLO is your fave

gtr31 said:
Can't wait to hear some clips as they get into more people's hands

JKD have you bonded anymore w the VH4 or do you still find it dry ?
Also any update on direct out some guys I am seeing say it sounds great no ir
Reqd

I am guessing SLO is your fave

I made the VH4 wetter by changing the V1 tube in the Module.

I also changed the input SYN2.....dunno if that's supposed to affect the gain.

Almost anything seems better than the stock JJ/Tesla 12ax7/ECC83 they ship with.

EDIT: Worth noting that all four of my modules have shipped with ARS branded JJ/Tesla 12ax7/ECC83 in Tube position one and a Chinese 12ax7a/7025 in Tube position two.

I could not get s sound I liked with the DI on the SYN2, whatever the module, but then I'm guessing others have more experience with the EQ and post-treatment required to make these sound good as stand-alone guitar tracks..and there's no way I could even think about mixing it, I simply lack the skills.

The weaker emulation is definitely working but it's no iR....still working on getting a sound I like through my AX8/IRs...again, I have no skills here jus lo-cut/hi-shelf on the CAB block..but struggling to find a CAB I like the sound of, that at least sounds like a natural recording.