MTS Forum Forum Index
Discussion forum for Synergy, Egnater & Randall MTS Amps & Modules

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Waiting on a comparison demo
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTS Forum Forum Index -> Synergy Amps & Modules
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lintycreep
RM100

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Waiting on a comparison demo Reply with quote

It's great that Synergy is finally here. I would love to see a demo of old modules in a Synergy (pre)amp go up against the new modules. I don't think I can purchase one until I see a unbiased review. I was hoping someone here would have done this already, but I guess it is still pretty new. Would love to see the Soldano module vs a JF/SM version.
withmittens
Lynch Box

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that would be the meat.
SG, LP Std., Strat
Spencer4hire
RM100

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be curious if the JF/Salvation modules sound better or worse through the Synergy hardware.
JKD
Donating Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spencer4hire wrote:
I would be curious if the JF/Salvation modules sound better or worse through the Synergy hardware.

Define better?

I would say the Synergy modules sound better than their modded counterparts. Tighter/clarity and perhaps sound gainer - part of that recipie is in the module, part in the input circuit of the amp (in my case SYN2.)

That said, I sincerely doubt you would hear it on a recording and it could even be explained away by different preamp tubes.

I'll have an SLO side by side with a Salvation on Weds...I could literally A/B them in the SYN2.

I will also have a VH4 with the DZilla and Benzin....you will notice the latter two are already up for sale...I am that sure, based on my experience with the BE/HBE.

I don't know if you'd call that biased but I drank the kool aid a long time ago.
SG - Diablo
Gigmods - Mark
Hilly-Snorkeler
Egnater -COD
Randall - Scary, Grail, SuperV
Spencer4hire
RM100

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just wondering if the Synergy amps are better sounding than the Egnater/Randall versions. I am not looking to get rid of my many modded modules but if the amps sound better I might be willing to upgrade to a Synergy one. I am glad you are enjoying the Synergy gear after such a long wait.
Bucksears
RM50

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the demos are going to be a deciding factor for me, but not by much. The one I'd love to hear is an EG5 vs the new SLO.

I have all ideas the Metroplex, AC, DS and BE/HBE are going to sound better than my current Egnater VX and SL2X mods. Maybe even the upgraded T/D vs my Eggie T/D.
Not that the Egnater modules sound bad (no way), it's just that the EG5 does what it does SO WELL (IMO): big, tight, flat/full mids hi-gain with abundant treble if you want it.
JKD
Donating Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bucksears wrote:
Yeah, the demos are going to be a deciding factor for me, but not by much. The one I'd love to hear is an EG5 vs the new SLO.

I have all ideas the Metroplex, AC, DS and BE/HBE are going to sound better than my current Egnater VX and SL2X mods. Maybe even the upgraded T/D vs my Eggie T/D.
Not that the Egnater modules sound bad (no way), it's just that the EG5 does what it does SO WELL (IMO): big, tight, flat/full mids hi-gain with abundant treble if you want it.

If we're all honest...couldn't we have made do with that EG5? Close enough for that tone right?

My expectation of the SLO is that it's going to be very close to that EG5 or a Salvation Salvado...which by the way has a clean(er) channel on ChA...but maybe with less noise.

The difference is a I get an SLO module from Synergy I think....which in turn came with the blessing of the original amp designer, unless I'm mistaken.

None of this should be taken negatively, all are great products. Very Happy
SG - Diablo
Gigmods - Mark
Hilly-Snorkeler
Egnater -COD
gtrlw
RM100

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was skeptical after having gone in and out of modular over the past 7 years. At the last minute I changed my initial order of a loaded Syn2 to a Syn1 with a SLO mod. Wish I hadn't. IMHO This new gear is a game changer. The SLO is chewy, 3D sounding, has sizzle and a nice bottom end and doesn't sound the least bit sterile or small when A/B into the loop of my JVM. It sounds like another channel of my amp and that is exactly what I was looking for.
MarcoR
Donating Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gtrlw wrote:
I was skeptical after having gone in and out of modular over the past 7 years. At the last minute I changed my initial order of a loaded Syn2 to a Syn1 with a SLO mod. Wish I hadn't. IMHO This new gear is a game changer. The SLO is chewy, 3D sounding, has sizzle and a nice bottom end and doesn't sound the least bit sterile or small when A/B into the loop of my JVM. It sounds like another channel of my amp and that is exactly what I was looking for.

Where is the like button?
lintycreep
RM100

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Define better?

I would say the Synergy modules sound better than their modded counterparts. Tighter/clarity and perhaps sound gainer - part of that recipie is in the module, part in the input circuit of the amp (in my case SYN2.)

That said, I sincerely doubt you would hear it on a recording and it could even be explained away by different preamp tubes.

I'll have an SLO side by side with a Salvation on Weds...I could literally A/B them in the SYN2.

I will also have a VH4 with the DZilla and Benzin....you will notice the latter two are already up for sale...I am that sure, based on my experience with the BE/HBE.

I don't know if you'd call that biased but I drank the kool aid a long time ago.

Can't wait to hear what you think. My initial thought was to go SLO and HBE to pair up with my Friedman Smallbox. How do the BE and HBE channels differ? I realize the HBE is "hairier", but the dual channels are what interest me. Is the 2nd channel of BE close to the 1st channel of HBE?

Quote:

That's exactly what I was waiting to hear. Think I'm gonna stick with the SYN1 myself. I like the portability of it... would love to see Mark Cameron designed module. If they could put there differences aside, he could make a little cash and they could pull all the Rig-Talkers in without a doubt. Could be a win/win for all.
Johnny Wadd
Lynch Box

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one has 5 mins for a quick and dirty side by side ?
Rising Farce
Lynch Box

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone is taking requests, I'd love to hear some VH4 clips. I have one on the way, along with an HBE, but the shipment has been indefinitely delayed by Irma-related logistical chaos.
JKD
Donating Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rising Farce wrote:
If anyone is taking requests, I'd love to hear some VH4 clips. I have one on the way, along with an HBE, but the shipment has been indefinitely delayed by Irma-related logistical chaos.

Nooooo!

The BE and HBE sound magical, the SLO perhaps even more so.

The VH4 I'm not yet convinced but then I never bonded with DIEZEL tone using vintage pickups and I have three varieties now, time to bust out the EMGs I think!
SG - Diablo
Gigmods - Mark
Hilly-Snorkeler
Egnater -COD
Rising Farce
Lynch Box

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JKD wrote:
Rising Farce wrote:

Nooooo!

The BE and HBE sound magical, the SLO perhaps even more so.

The VH4 I'm not yet convinced but then I never bonded with DIEZEL tone using vintage pickups and I have three varieties now, time to bust out the EMGs I think!

Do it! I need to live vicariously through you until my modules arrive.
crankyrayhanky
Lynch Box

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we all live through JKD now! Any clip appreciated yo!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTS Forum Forum Index -> Synergy Amps & Modules All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: