Waiting on a comparison demo

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't mind hearing a Soldano SLO and JF SLO back to back. IMO, the JF SLO blew away the Salvado.

Rising Farce said:
What did you sub in for the JJ in V1?

I like the Chinese tubes, c5 or c9 but in Marshall style modules...

I have a bunch of old Long Plate 7025S tubes that simple sound fantastic there.

JKD said:
Rising Farce said:
What did you sub in for the JJ in V1?

I like the Chinese tubes, c5 or c9 but in Marshall style modules...

I have a bunch of old Long Plate 7025S tubes that simple sound fantastic there.

Thanks for the info. I'll start with a C9 and then perhaps try an NOS RFT.

My HBE and VH4 modules should finally be here tomorrow. :D

So is Tube 1 considered the pre-amp tube and the one to change to mess with the tone

hmic10 said:
So is Tube 1 considered the pre-amp tube and the one to change to mess with the tone

I would assume the left-hand tube is V1, as on the MTS modules, though I could be mistaken.

As a side note, I haven't felt inclined to do any pre-tube swapping yet, as I've been more than happy with the tones from the stockers.

Rising Farce said:
hmic10 said:

I would assume the left-hand tube is V1, as on the MTS modules, though I could be mistaken.

As a side note, I haven't felt inclined to do any pre-tube swapping yet, as I've been more than happy with the tones from the stockers.

Hey there

How are you liking the VH4 and HBE
So far ?? Can you give quick review or comparison to some amps you. Owned
It seems bee hard to get people to talk about these
Maybe they are too busy making music with them

Rising Farce said:
hmic10 said:

I did not like the JJ in v1 of the VH4....it sounded too sterile, maybe just a low gain tube. I replaced it with a gain tested c9....honestly that's the only tune swap I felt was necessary.....all of the others were fine stock.

gtr31 said:
Rising Farce said:
hmic10 said:

Hey there

How are you liking the VH4 and HBE
So far ?? Can you give quick review or comparison to some amps you. Owned
It seems bee hard to get people to talk about these
Maybe they are too busy making music with them

The HBE sounds, well, like a Friedman-modded Marshall--slightly dark, aggressive but refined, full of overtones, and with that incredible Friedman feel. The tonality is mid-forward, as you'd expect, making it great for lead use.

I've never played a real VH4, but the module has loads of tight, punchy low end, making it a lot of fun for palm-muted material. It actually reminds me a bit of the gain channel on a PRS Archon, though a little more hollow in the mids. It doesn't have the fluidity of the HBE, but it's not "stiff" like, say, a Fryette.

The clarity and note separation is top notch on both--better, in fact, than most of the high-end (non-modular) amps I've owned. I don't know how much of this is attributable to the Friedman-modded RM100 I'm using them in, but I suspect the Synergy heads would be just as good, if not better.

I didn't think a TS-type pedal helped either; they sound fine straight in or with a little delay in the loop.