Is there a real difference in the hardware in sound?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Granted, I am not using any of the new dual mods in my SYN2, but my Salvation and JF mods sound pretty much like they do it the Egnater/Randall stuff which is to say F*cking great.
For me, I have always liked the sounds I was getting. Just the ability to add more mods to an amp easily is what sold me.

Yes and no....

Synergy modules in Synergy hardware sound the best, it’s quite apparent and I put this down to clean layouts and possibly the cathode bias magic.

There is a slightly perceptible difference of regular module on the SYN2 compared with directly in the MOD50 - close enough that it’s probably down to the first tube/stage variance......doesn’t synergy still sense the circuit when it’s not a Synergy module or is that a pin specific feature oonu on Synergy modules......

I have an SLO and Salvado side by side and i say they are subjectively similar... the Synergy is tighter and a bit more full bodied and quieter for sure.

The sound difference could be voicing, you can hear and feel the difference when playing...on a recording, possibly...in a mix, maybe if you had very good ears :)

Admittedly, my ears are not the best. After playing loud for 40+ years, tinnitus, etc. The mods feel good to me but again I do not have one of the dual mods made by synergy in my syn2. Someday.....

ricky said:
Admittedly, my ears are not the best. After playing loud for 40+ years, tinnitus, etc. The mods feel good to me but again I do not have one of the dual mods made by synergy in my syn2. Someday.....

My ears are terrible, my playing worse but I know what I like when it comes to my toys! :p

The SYN-2 is just super flexible and that alone is good enough reason to own it...heck I still own an M4, 2 MOD50s, an RM50 and am RM100LB ;-)

Have you tried the syn2 with the rm50 to add more channels?

I was curious if the rm50s loop works ok with the syn since I'm considering getting one to use with my rm50.

Thanks

I have not tried it in my RM50 yet but will do so when I get back to town on Monday. it lacks the midi port so switching will be a little different but I think I can do it by adding my RM50 footswitch.

warmachine67 said:
Have you tried the syn2 with the rm50 to add more channels?

I was curious if the rm50s loop works ok with the syn since I'm considering getting one to use with my rm50.

Thanks

It works great, I run my M4 and SYN2 this way..though not at the same time, since I'd need another switcher....plus if you want to switch the RM50 via MIDI, you need an external box too...I just used the single button stomp with the SYN2 in bypass.

This is the advantage of the SYN2 over the M4 of course.

Thanks for the reply jkd :)

I haven't had luck with the rm50's loop for just effects since it is serial and I just use stomp boxes and wasn't sure if the rm50 loop would work well with synergy.

Sounds like I can add a channel with a syn1 to any of the old Randall stuff. That is so awesome.

Sorry to hijack your thread kylendm:), I just saw someone mention rm50 and syn in the same post and got distracted

The RM50 loops are line level, not well suited to most pedals...they do however work perfectly with rack gear for that same reason :)