Cab simulator examples

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isolated1523

Reaction score
Seen some videos of different modules, but how about a no-nonsense, no EQ/no multitracking examples of what the actual XLR cab sim sounds like? I love the idea of sticking a SYN-1 on a pedalboard as an all-direct rig, but haven't heard how the "second to none" cab sims stacks up.

Sounds meh to me. Analog cab sims tend to have that "tearing cardboard" quality which I can't unhear no matter how much the designer tried to refine the EQ curve.

Just get a cheap IR loader pedal.

isolated1523 said:
Seen some videos of different modules, but how about a no-nonsense, no EQ/no multitracking examples of what the actual XLR cab sim sounds like? I love the idea of sticking a SYN-1 on a pedalboard as an all-direct rig, but haven't heard how the "second to none" cab sims stacks up.

To me, naked and direct...it sounds very similar to the Cab Eliminator Jack on the back of the MTS amp...perhaps a little more refined.

Bear in mind I have no skill in recording..but assume running those direct to my Focusrite 212i should be the correct way to do it?

It sounds a *lot* better to my untrained ears through my AX8 using the cab sim (IR) there..still not perfect but that's no doubt due to my lack of EQ knowledge....the AX8 is a $1k piece of hardware :)

I have a really horrible back-to-back of the BE/HBE/SLO from the AX8 sims if anyone thinks it's of value.

BE/HBE/SLO EQ'd more or less teh same - BE with gain pegged HBE with gain dialed back...SLO high gain, think it was through the Shadow (Celestion) 1x12 IR.

I prefer one of the three Ownhamer IRs I use in my Torpedo CAB but the cab simulation on the SYN2 is more tolerable than about a hundred other IRs I've tried. So... for simple plug in and go, it works pretty well.