MTS Forum Forum Index
Discussion forum for Synergy, Egnater & Randall MTS Amps & Modules

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Synergy has landed
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTS Forum Forum Index -> Synergy Amps & Modules
View previous topic :: View next topic  
webrthomson
Donating Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

withmittens wrote:
thanks for the info and reviews.

My pleasure Smile

withmittens wrote:

what it sounds like to me is that there is little difference between the JF SLO and the Soldano module, either through the RM50, through the SYN-2 into the RM50 or Syn-2 through your VH4.

do I understand this?

you are equally happy with all of these scenarios?

Correct there are some voicing differences between the SLO and JF modules but it's nothing that could not be tweaked - either are great!

The modules through the MOD50 or the SYN-2 into the power section of the VH4 all sound great as do my existing modded and stock modules in both scenarios.

I'm not sure I'd say one was better or worse - there is a slight difference but it's akin to moving a module from a my MOD50 to my JF modded RM100. The amp is different but the majority of the character of the module itself stays the same while being impacted by the change in tubes and power section.

I would agree with JKD though the SYN-2 sounds great, my MOD50 is one of the best sounding amps I've ever heard, Bruce put Mercury Magnetic's transformers into mine as I think it was the last MOD50 built and it's a blistering little amp. The SYN-2 keeps up and that is testament to how good it actually sounds.

withmittens wrote:

gotta say, I envy your gear right now.

I pretty happy with it too, not so happy about my credit card bill mind you Surprised
MusiciansFriend.com's Deal Center
Jaded Faith

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant to chime in here a few weeks back after I took delivery of a SYN-1, Soldano and Dirty Shirley. Things have been so insanely busy at the shop I just haven't had the time.

I tried the SYN-1 hooked up at work to my benchside RM50 for about 5 minutes and got about 2 hours at home hooked up to a Boss Katana 100W with a Celestion Heritage G12H-55Hz Greenback. They did a great job on all of this gear and they should be really proud of their efforts. I really do applaud the results. My impressions are pretty in line with what's said here. It's fairly neck-in-neck with my work and that's impressive given the hurdle our mods overcome without being able to workaround the initial stage being in the amp housing.

I don't know that you would see any drastic differences between a modded module and their equivalent. Just a slightly different flavor that can get extremely close to each other with a slightly different setting of a knob or two. I'll likely pick up a few more for my collection and to support the brand, as should anyone else that supported the concept over the years.
Authorized Service Center for US Music and Egnater
Authorized Reseller for Celestion, Scumback & Mercury Magnetics
webrthomson
Donating Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaded Faith wrote:
I don't know that you would see any drastic differences between a modded module and their equivalent. Just a slightly different flavor that can get extremely close to each other with a slightly different setting of a knob or two. I'll likely pick up a few more for my collection and to support the brand, as should anyone else that supported the concept over the years.

Hey Rob - I agree, the synergy stuff is nicely done Smile

I think the dual SL-OD you did for me retains the title of my cold dead hands module though! Smile

Can't wait to get some of the fender Synergy modules too - you heard any of those yet?

Ross
JKD
Donating Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaded Faith wrote:
I meant to chime in here a few weeks back after I took delivery of a SYN-1, Soldano and Dirty Shirley. Things have been so insanely busy at the shop I just haven't had the time.

I tried the SYN-1 hooked up at work to my benchside RM50 for about 5 minutes and got about 2 hours at home hooked up to a Boss Katana 100W with a Celestion Heritage G12H-55Hz Greenback. They did a great job on all of this gear and they should be really proud of their efforts. I really do applaud the results. My impressions are pretty in line with what's said here. It's fairly neck-in-neck with my work and that's impressive given the hurdle our mods overcome without being able to workaround the initial stage being in the amp housing.

Couldn't agree more with this..especially the bolded stuff!

I'll add thatI totally understand the later iterations of your mods...with the 'simpler', more direct layouts, less bells and whistles (switches).....less noise and more refined tone are probably a better comparison to Synergy.

I love my Salvation SLO (and prior to that the JF SLO and Gigmods version) but it's clear that the less complicated (off board) mods are....the less noisy/easier to maintain it's gonna be Smile[/b]
SG - Diablo
Gigmods - Mark
Hilly-Snorkeler
Egnater -COD
Randall - Scary, Grail, SuperV
Jaded Faith

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

webrthomson: Thanks for the kind words and glad you are so happy with that SL-OD100 after all these years. I haven't heard the Fender modules yet and I doubt that would be something I'd buy personally. There are a few other things I'd be more interested in first.

JKD: They really did a great job and that should be commended. I know most of the team personally and there is a great brotherhood among many of us amp guys. We often help each other out, share knowledge and support each other where we can. I'm beyond happy for them and the result of their hard work. I know there was a lot of impatient remarks the past few years but sometimes these things take a lot of work to get right. Better to be patient than rush something out poorly.

I'm glad that the concept of the Series 2 mods wasn't lost. I'm a firm believer that less can be more. All the options in the world often lead to more noise and make things harder to dial in. If you do something simple and well, it can be far more satisfying. I just did a 2204-style scratch build for a customer. The only change to the entire circuit was a smaller bright cap. I spent great attention to the layout and the wiring runs. Everyone that played it had the exact same comments. The sound felt "3D and like it was coming from all around them" and it was dead quiet. Like turn everything to 10 and is this thing even on quiet.
Authorized Service Center for US Music and Egnater
Authorized Reseller for Celestion, Scumback & Mercury Magnetics
Rising Farce
Lynch Box

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaded Faith wrote:
I'm glad that the concept of the Series 2 mods wasn't lost. I'm a firm believer that less can be more. All the options in the world often lead to more noise and make things harder to dial in. If you do something simple and well, it can be far more satisfying. I just did a 2204-style scratch build for a customer. The only change to the entire circuit was a smaller bright cap. I spent great attention to the layout and the wiring runs. Everyone that played it had the exact same comments. The sound felt "3D and like it was coming from all around them" and it was dead quiet. Like turn everything to 10 and is this thing even on quiet.

Amen.
webrthomson
Donating Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I've (badly) thrown together a quick video of the Synergy VH4 module running into the VH4 power section:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjITBtCYpHY

Basically it's some chugging and cycling the three channels from the VH4's channel 3 to the red and blue channels in the module itself.

Everything is at noon on the module and the amp - except the amp channel and master volumes, which are between 8 and 9 o'clock.

In terms of what is what:

Red Light on left of SYN-2 active = VH4 channel 3
Blue light on VH4 module = VH4 module blue channel
Red light on VH4 module = VH4 module red channel

In the room they all sound great - the amp is a tiny bit louder - but there is not much in it and I think the red channel has a bit more gain than the blue on the module.

The noise floor on all is great - I click through a bit to try and let you guys hear the difference, really the only one you can hear anything on is the red module channel though.

There does not seem as marked a difference as on the amp between channels 3 and 4 on the module as there is a bit more compression on channel 4 of the actual amp.
JKD
Donating Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

webrthomson wrote:
So I've (badly) thrown together a quick video of the Synergy VH4 module running into the VH4 power section:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjITBtCYpHY

Basically it's some chugging and cycling the three channels from the VH4's channel 3 to the red and blue channels in the module itself.

Everything is at noon on the module and the amp - except the amp channel and master volumes, which are between 8 and 9 o'clock.

In terms of what is what:

Red Light on left of SYN-2 active = VH4 channel 3
Blue light on VH4 module = VH4 module blue channel
Red light on VH4 module = VH4 module red channel

In the room they all sound great - the amp is a tiny bit louder - but there is not much in it and I think the red channel has a bit more gain than the blue on the module.

The noise floor on all is great - I click through a bit to try and let you guys hear the difference, really the only one you can hear anything on is the red module channel though.

There does not seem as marked a difference as on the amp between channels 3 and 4 on the module as there is a bit more compression on channel 4 of the actual amp.

Nice man, that sounds insanely close....and I love that the EQ is at NOON..if the tone don't sounds great at 12 o'clock, then the EQ is poorly designed!

Did I hear Eye of the Beholder in there? \m/

However, your vid reinforces that my VH4 is/was faulty......really impatient to wait for a repair :-/
SG - Diablo
Gigmods - Mark
Hilly-Snorkeler
Egnater -COD
webrthomson
Donating Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JKD wrote:

Nice man, that sounds insanely close....and I love that the EQ is at NOON..if the tone don't sounds great at 12 o'clock, then the EQ is poorly designed!

Did I hear Eye of the Beholder in there? \m/

However, your vid reinforces that my VH4 is/was faulty......really impatient to wait for a repair :-/

Yup they are really close and I agree, none of the Diezels I've played need much movement from about noon at all!

You did indeed hear some Eye of the Beholder! Smile

VH4 is a great amp - get it fixed and get ripping Very Happy
webrthomson
Donating Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uploaded some quick and dirty phone clips of the SLO modules:

Everything at noon on the Synergy SLO and the JF SLOD-100:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFW79yoFDBc

After about a 10 second fiddle to make them sound more alike:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YiaT7TE46w
JKD
Donating Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

webrthomson wrote:

Great stuff man.

I found with my Salvado that it sounded most similar to the SLO with the EQ set very close..though the Salvado has more gain / maybe perceptible high gain because has a little more sizzle.
SG - Diablo
Gigmods - Mark
Hilly-Snorkeler
Egnater -COD
webrthomson
Donating Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JKD wrote:
webrthomson wrote:

Great stuff man.

I found with my Salvado that it sounded most similar to the SLO with the EQ set very close..though the Salvado has more gain / maybe perceptible high gain because has a little more sizzle.

Thanks Smile

I've not tried the Salvado, would like to!

Loving the new Synergy stuff - the guys ahve done a great job on it. I also love the fact my modded stuff sounds great through it too!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTS Forum Forum Index -> Synergy Amps & Modules All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: