MTS Forum Forum Index
Discussion forum for Synergy, Egnater & Randall MTS Amps & Modules

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Synergy has landed
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTS Forum Forum Index -> Synergy Amps & Modules
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mattfig
Donating Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

withmittens wrote:
to me the two sound very different in presence amounts. While the tone and gain structure sound very similar, the Synergy sounds more present and brighter/clearer. I also hear this change a bit throughout, so maybe it;s the microphone being blocked or things moving around in the room.

anyone else hear this?

thanks a ton for the demos. extremely helpful

Oh yeah, the JF sounds very dark and muffled compared to the Syn mod...But tonally they sound like they could be close when dialed in...

Kemper Profiles -
www.mattfig.com
MusiciansFriend.com's Deal Center
Capt_Tippy
RM100

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mattfig wrote:
withmittens wrote:
to me the two sound very different in presence amounts. While the tone and gain structure sound very similar, the Synergy sounds more present and brighter/clearer. I also hear this change a bit throughout, so maybe it;s the microphone being blocked or things moving around in the room.

anyone else hear this?

thanks a ton for the demos. extremely helpful

Oh yeah, the JF sounds very dark and muffled compared to the Syn mod...But tonally they sound like they could be close when dialed in...

Lets just be honest. The JF sounds like junk compared to the Synergy. Of course... who knows why? Bad tubes? Bad settings? Bad gas from too much cheese? Nobody knows, but... in this particular video, if its accurate, I'd be shocked if Rob ever sold another one.

You're correct. I probably have no idea what I'm talking about. I'm not even sure why I bothered to say anything in the 1st place.
Jaded Faith

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice demo and I think it does a nice job answering some questions. I will point out three things to consider however:

1: For a true apples-to-apples comparison, the Synergy SLO needs to have the cathode bias switch set to the Fender position. The 1K8/1uF default SLO Synergy setting provides a high frequency shelving boost that starts to roll off at 2K and is -3db down around 150hZ. The Randall default is 1K5/22uF, which is essentially full frequency and only starts to roll off around 100hZ. This is the perceived difference in brightness at the same settings. I tried the Synergy module beside my standard offering and it's nearly identical when the switch is set to even the playing field.

2: Since all mods are custom built, you can always order one with extra sizzle, darker or whatever you like. I would venture to guess 30% of the 4500+ MTS mods I've done had such requests from their original owner.

3: I've always said it and have no researched explanation aside from the additional switching circuitry, but dual channel Egnater modules always sounded around 5-10% duller to me than a single channel of the same exact circuit. Take that for what it's worth.

All said, the team did a great job on these modules and you guys that are loyal to the technology should get out there and try it. If for nothing else to support the brand. For those interested on the East Coast, you can try out my personal Synergy gear at the shop anytime we are open. I'm also in discussions about carrying it in my storefront along with my own modules and the custom amps I build.
Authorized Service Center for US Music and Egnater
Authorized Reseller for Celestion, Scumback & Mercury Magnetics
withmittens
Lynch Box

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if it's possible for either modder to include this internal switch, or one that does essentially the same thing without copying it.

seems like it should have been there all along
SG, LP Std., Strat
Capt_Tippy
RM100

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should all crack a cold one and wait for Rob's list of 5 reasons why he can't hah (Don't get mad Rob Laughing)

You're correct. I probably have no idea what I'm talking about. I'm not even sure why I bothered to say anything in the 1st place.
guitarzan
Donating Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: We should all buy Rob a cold Reply with quote

We should all buy a Rob a cold one and thank him for helping keep this line alive all these years. Thanks Rob, cheers!!
Syn1, MOD50, M4, Hilly's RM100 modded to dual, RM4 modded to dual channel. G-Major 2, Mesa 20/20, Fryette Powerstation, Friedman Smallbox Combo, 1979 Marshall JMP 50 modded to BE/HBE by Friedman. Tons of modules.
Jaded Faith

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd need to take the module apart and see how the switch is doing it on the edge connector. Likely using one of the unused positions from the original design. Obviously the circuit is within the amp, so any switch added wouldn't do anything inside of a 1st Gen modular amp like a Randall or Egnater. It's also patented, so I think it's a slippery slope to do for profit (ie: offering as a service you could pay for) for a customer.

Keep in mind, this is a hurdle every stock or modded module ever made worked around in various ways. The old "swap out C3" mod documented here about 12 years ago was one of the many ways we overcame that handicap.

That said, I am a fan of good craft beers for whomever is buying the next round...
withmittens
Lynch Box

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was my understanding the switch was inside each module switching between sets of resistors & capacitors for each of the 3 values.

you're saying it's in the amp? or the switch is in the preamp and the circuit is in the amp?

if so, the circuit could be on a small floating peg board and wired to the appropriate place. Could be do-able DIY is we knew the values and where the wires went.
SG, LP Std., Strat
Capt_Tippy
RM100

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaded Faith wrote:
I'd need to take the module apart and see how the switch is doing it on the edge connector. Likely using one of the unused positions from the original design. Obviously the circuit is within the amp, so any switch added wouldn't do anything inside of a 1st Gen modular amp like a Randall or Egnater. It's also patented, so I think it's a slippery slope to do for profit (ie: offering as a service you could pay for) for a customer.

Keep in mind, this is a hurdle every stock or modded module ever made worked around in various ways. The old "swap out C3" mod documented here about 12 years ago was one of the many ways we overcame that handicap.

That said, I am a fan of good craft beers for whomever is buying the next round...

I stand corrected. I think I only counted 4. I'm glad you can take it Rob. Wink

I'd buy ya a beer but it's a long drive. If I ever make it up that way I'll be sure to stop by with a 6 pack.

Jaded Faith

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always say if you don't have thick skin and a good sense of humor this isn't the business for you. I'll gladly take an I.O.U. on that 6-pack!

Please don't quote me, but I think the circuit's in the amp. The switch is definitely on the modules. It is most logical that way to execute it, as the gain stage that's being switched is in the amp itself and having the circuitry (aside from the switch) on every module made would be illogically expensive on a mass-production scale.
Capt_Tippy
RM100

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaded Faith wrote:
I always say if you don't have thick skin and a good sense of humor this isn't the business for you. I'll gladly take an I.O.U. on that 6-pack!

Please don't quote me, but I think the circuit's in the amp. The switch is definitely on the modules. It is most logical that way to execute it, as the gain stage that's being switched is in the amp itself and having the circuitry (aside from the switch) on every module made would be illogically expensive on a mass-production scale.

Don't quote me either (See what I did there Rob^^^^ haha), but I actually think I heard/read that somewhere, and that's actually a selling point for their gear.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTS Forum Forum Index -> Synergy Amps & Modules All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: