Which modules?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rpedgeeooz

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum.

I've been really considering a RM100 head recently (Randall's). But i've had some worries about what kind of tone I would get with the modules. Unfortunately I don't have any local dealers around here so I'll be going off clips, reviews and stuff like that.

So my dilemma is which modules to get. I'll be on a pretty tight budget but i can afford the chassis with 3 modules.

For clean I'm pretty sure i'll get a Blackface. What the clips i've heard, they sound really authentic.

Now for rhythm and lead I'm kind of stuck. I play metal (death metal - power metal) rhythm but I prefer the tight, CLEAR (and by clear i mean crystal clear where you can hear the notes; power chorded or single), articulate sound. Sorta like an ENGL. I definately do like the high gain saturation chugga chugga stuff but a clear rhythm tone is what I'm usually geared towards. What I'm also concerned about is that the modules may not have enough gain for some of the rhythm i'll be playing. From the clips I've heard at music123, the higher gain modules sound like mush. For the kinds of sound I like, think: Necrophagist, Cryptopsy, Nevermore, Nile, Dark Tranquility, Death, Opeth, Symphony X and Dream Theater (the odd ball ;)).

I hear that the recto doesn't exactly sound like a recto. No worse, just different. Can I coax a clear tight rhythm sound out of this? Yes, i'm aware there are capacitator mods to make the sound tighter, I do my research ;).

People praise the 1086 and I think it sounds very cool but I haven't heard many clips on it and people also say it's very versatile while is good but again, I haven't heard many clips to be able to justify this.

Moving on to lead; although I play alot of death metal, i play a lot of instrumental guitar stuff. You know, the typical Vai, Satch, Yngwie, Petrucci stuff. I've always loved Steve Vai's lead sound (mostly from his whitesnake days to his XTC days) but i'm not sure which module would give me his sound. Generally, an XTC should get me a part of his era of tone but does the XTC module sound authentic like the real thing? I also know that he plays an XTC with a boss DS1. Anyone have any experienc with this combination?

I also hear that the SL+ is a very good lead module. From the clips I heard it sounds very Marshall-esque. How does it hold up to the XTC?

Okay so that's pretty much it.

Any clips are welcome and greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time! \m/ :mrgreen: \m/

It's tough to say if this amp will get you the sound you are looking for - everyone has their own take on it.

I for one can say I have played many top of the line amps (Mesa, Rivera, Bogner, VHT) and have decided to have the Randall MTS series as my main setup now.

The tones you can get w/ these modules is plain sick! The 1086 is getting good raves and reviews cause it is just that - THE most versatile high gain module out there now. If you go for the rectifier sound go w/ a rectified module instead of the recto. I own a Mesa Dual Rectifier and thought that the rectified module was the closest between the two, but still different.

The SL+ is very Marshall like - very JCM800ish. It makes me lean toward a George Lynch type sound. After hearing jimosity's new clips - I put in an order for a Mr. Scary today - cause it is supposed to be more articulate and clear then the SL+ when the higher gain comes into play.

When you talk about the high gain modules not having enough gain - trust me they do. It just depends on which ones you are wanting to go toward. The 1086 can cover almost all your high gain needs especially w/ death metal. Keep in mind most of those "big" bands you list run their amps through alot of secondary units to help clean up and tighten their sound.
I currently run a BBE Sonic Maximizer Stomp in with my amp to help tighten up the sound w/ the modules and this pedal does wonders!

For leads most people will tell you two main ones - Top Boost and the XTC. They're both great for a mid gain/lead tone, but you can also look @ some other suggestions that like the Ultra Lead for this purpose as well.

Remember that even clips will not always be what you hear when you plug it in, it's best to mess around w/ different modules and find which ones work for you. I'm in the same boat as you - there are NO Randall dealers here in Denver and all of my modules have come from either here or ebay.

Hope some of this helps -

Mike

Thanks! That definately hepled.

Is there an actual difference in the rectifier module compared with the recto module? I know the rectifier is new for 2006.

Looks like the two runner up rhythm modules are the rectifier and the 1086. Can anyone give me some extra info on these modules and other rhythm modules I might want to check out?

Does the top boost have enough gain for high gain leads? Out of most the guitarists i've listed, Steve Vai's sound would probably be the closest sound to what I want, and he uses a generous amount of gain. I hear the top boost takes pedals very well but it doesn't exactly scream "lead module" for me. You also said that the XTC is good for a mid gain lead tone. Isn't the XTC module based on the high gain (red) channel of a normal XTC? Would it do good leads in the high gain department? I haven't heard much from the Ultra Lead module. How does it sound like?

The XTC is definately high gain and sounds kinda like a recto but then more gain and more bass.

Sounds awesome.

Hey there,

I think the 1086 is a great module for metal .If your looking for the rectified. id wait and check out the Lynch "GRAIL" it supposed to be very hi gain plus with a high end cut of a Soldano .check out his website under fan talk ..theres videos of him there using the Grail on leads over backing tracks at musikmesse /also most of the people from Europe at the show thought the Grail was thier favourite out of the Scary however if you listen to Jim clips Scary sounds pretty much like Dokken. also if you listen to the clips on the Randall site ..to my ears the Brown sounds like it has a little more ummph and harmonics ..listen and youll see what I mean as he plays the same solo riff ..its becaused of the modified mid characteristics.