Low Volume

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

serge20261

Reaction score
New user,I received today my synergy 5050 power Amp and my SYN2 with the TDLX & DS modules.Not sure if I’m hooked up correctly,but it seemed to be lacking in Volume I know 50w should be blowing my ears off.
Is there a diagram anywhere on the hookup

Is there anything else in your setup/chain right now? Should be simple, guitar to input, main output into syn5050.

Should be pretty straight forward:

Guitar -> instrument in (front or back) -> SYN2 - (main outs) -> Syn5050 Inputs (far right as you look at the amp from the back) -> SYN5050 Speaker Outputs (use the left ones first as you look at the back of the amp) -> 2 x Speaker cabs

Things to check:

Are you running the amp in mono and taking the wrong speaker out?
All cables?
Speaker cables?
Check your not plugged into the loop at any point on the SYN2?

I have a SYN5050 and thought the same thing at first.

I was using my RM4 with the power section of my 50w 5153 and it was stupidly loud, I was expecting the same volume on the SYN5050 when I got it but I got the same impression as you did.
I think that what happens is that the power section on the 5153 (or other heads) is all open and you only control the volume through the master output on the RM4 (M4 or SYN2), whereas if used with the SYN5050 you're controlling the volume after the RM4, so to achieve a similar stupidly loud volume you'd have to have the volume of the SYN5050 turned up all the way.

The other thing I found out is that when you use the SYN5050 in 100w bridged mono, if you have the channel B on standby the volume remains at the same volume as the 50w stereo mono (50w/channel), you need to switch ON the channel B to hear an increase in volume (which is not double the volume as we already know).
Can you confirm your unit behaves the same way?

Not sure if that is the way it is supposed to work or not but that is how the unit behaves.

Hopefully somebody from Synergy can comment on this?

There's an Output Volume control on the SYN2 same as the RM4/M4 right?

This is a second pre-amp master volume control, could this be affecting it or is it only inline with the XLR outs on the SYN2?

(I really should read my manual but I'm fairly sure it doesn't affect anything in 4-cable mode...)

When using the 5153 or the SYN5050 the signal path is the same for me:
Guitar > RM4 or SYN2 > 5153 or SYN5050 > 2x12 spk cab

The master volume knobs on the 5153 are for each channel, they don't affect anything that you plug into the FX return, so basically the power section of the 5153 is completely open if I understand correctly.

When using a power amp such as the SYN5050 one usually doesn't have the volume knob on 11 and most likely one doesn't run the RM4 / M4 / SYN2 master output at 11 either.
I think that's why the MR4 / M4 / SYN2 connected into the SYN5050 doesn't sound as loud as when it's connected to the FX return of the 5153.