Egnater MOD50 setup vs SYN 2 w PowerStation or Carvin TS 100

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
chrismilne said:
keg8605 said:
Received the Syn2 with AC and DS modules yesterday. Had a quick trial through the return of my Friedman Runt 20 head and sounded great that way. With the family sleeping I used the cab sim out for quite awhile. I was getting some decent tones and used some IRs as well as fx from my axe fx. Have to say though I think my Axe FX XL sounds much better direct. More time will confirm but I think with the preamps your missing some power amp tone for sure.

I tried to ask them a question about this on their website but no response. How should you be recording direct (without the cab sim that is), direct to IR's or should i go to a poweramp with a load on it and then out of that direct to IR's...I'm also a Kemper user, so i'm looking to possibly get back a few things i feel like i lost in tone with digital.

I believe the intended design is plug directly into your interface and then through a cab IR adjusting the sag control on the SYN1/2 to gain some power amp response but I wasn't liking the sound that was giving me very much. Axe XL sounded much better to me.

I have a powerstation arriving today though and you can actually loop it into itself (so PS speaker output into PS Amp in) and then use the PS line out, which should grant some Power Tube tone, into interface loading Cab IR's. I bet that will help a lot.

keg8605 said:
Received the Syn2 with AC and DS modules yesterday. Had a quick trial through the return of my Friedman Runt 20 head and sounded great that way. With the family sleeping I used the cab sim out for quite awhile. I was getting some decent tones and used some IRs as well as fx from my axe fx. Have to say though I think my Axe FX XL sounds much better direct. More time will confirm but I think with the preamps your missing some power amp tone for sure.

Cool pair! I wonder how the AC sounds compared to the morgan AC20 amp...

After further louder playing over the past weekend I'm not so keen on dismissing the carvin just yet. It really just needs to be pumped louder is all. And using the axe fx raising the global GEQ at 125hz provides depth if you want it. So between the Carvin and Powerstation you definitely get two different sounds thats for sure. Not sure which one I'm going to keep.

TDLX and SLO on the way. Couldn't resist. Once I pick my favs maybe I'll unload two of em.