MTS Forum Forum Index
Discussion forum for Synergy, Egnater & Randall MTS Amps & Modules

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Egnater MOD50 setup vs SYN 2 w PowerStation or Carvin TS 100
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTS Forum Forum Index -> Synergy Amps & Modules
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ricky
Lynch Box

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would never try and bias the amp as that is too far beyond my intelligence. I do like the Randall/Egnater MTS stuff as even I can bias that s*&t!
MusiciansFriend.com's Deal Center
Capt_Tippy
RM100

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keg8605 wrote:
For sure, might be a few days. Picking up a Carvin TS100 today local for cheap. Which clip are you looking for? I guess I could do all quick.

Into Friedman Runt return
Carvin TS100
Cab Sim out

Check out Shawn Tubb's demo's too.

Yeah I've seen the other demo's. I'm trying to really gauge the range of the module... like just how clean does it go? is the volume lacking at serious cleans? how dirty does it get? etc.

Clip would be greatly appreciated.

I owned a carvin once upon a time. I still have the carvin 4x12 cab. Head is long gone. Loved the amp though.

You're correct. I probably have no idea what I'm talking about. I'm not even sure why I bothered to say anything in the 1st place.
keg8605
RM20

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More time playing the carvin tonight and tomorrow hopefully but my initial response is it might be too flat or missing something. Felt like I needed to pump the output more than I'd want. Like I said more time is needed but into the return of the friedman sounds much better to me.

Different beasts I'm aware but none the less. Might have to buy another power station to direct compare them. I think I miss having a depth control.
ricky
Lynch Box

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience is that the depth control is kind of irrelevant at higher volumes. it sounds great at home and really fills the sound out. However at a gig, I can't really hear any difference once I crank the volume up.
chrismilne
RM100

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keg8605 wrote:
Received the Syn2 with AC and DS modules yesterday. Had a quick trial through the return of my Friedman Runt 20 head and sounded great that way. With the family sleeping I used the cab sim out for quite awhile. I was getting some decent tones and used some IRs as well as fx from my axe fx. Have to say though I think my Axe FX XL sounds much better direct. More time will confirm but I think with the preamps your missing some power amp tone for sure.

I tried to ask them a question about this on their website but no response. How should you be recording direct (without the cab sim that is), direct to IR's or should i go to a poweramp with a load on it and then out of that direct to IR's...I'm also a Kemper user, so i'm looking to possibly get back a few things i feel like i lost in tone with digital.
Strymon Flint and Mobius, TC Triple Delay, JHS Andy Timmons, Kemper, Ventris, Koko Boost, Carl Martin AT Compressor, Proanalog MKIV Fuzz, Ibanez TS9dx
keg8605
RM20

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrismilne wrote:
keg8605 wrote:
Received the Syn2 with AC and DS modules yesterday. Had a quick trial through the return of my Friedman Runt 20 head and sounded great that way. With the family sleeping I used the cab sim out for quite awhile. I was getting some decent tones and used some IRs as well as fx from my axe fx. Have to say though I think my Axe FX XL sounds much better direct. More time will confirm but I think with the preamps your missing some power amp tone for sure.

I tried to ask them a question about this on their website but no response. How should you be recording direct (without the cab sim that is), direct to IR's or should i go to a poweramp with a load on it and then out of that direct to IR's...I'm also a Kemper user, so i'm looking to possibly get back a few things i feel like i lost in tone with digital.

I believe the intended design is plug directly into your interface and then through a cab IR adjusting the sag control on the SYN1/2 to gain some power amp response but I wasn't liking the sound that was giving me very much. Axe XL sounded much better to me.

I have a powerstation arriving today though and you can actually loop it into itself (so PS speaker output into PS Amp in) and then use the PS line out, which should grant some Power Tube tone, into interface loading Cab IR's. I bet that will help a lot.
germanium
RM20

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keg8605 wrote:

Cool pair! I wonder how the AC sounds compared to the morgan AC20 amp...
keg8605
RM20

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After further louder playing over the past weekend I'm not so keen on dismissing the carvin just yet. It really just needs to be pumped louder is all. And using the axe fx raising the global GEQ at 125hz provides depth if you want it. So between the Carvin and Powerstation you definitely get two different sounds thats for sure. Not sure which one I'm going to keep.
keg8605
RM20

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TDLX and SLO on the way. Couldn't resist. Once I pick my favs maybe I'll unload two of em.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTS Forum Forum Index -> Synergy Amps & Modules All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: