Direct record question with out the cab sim...

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrismilne

Reaction score
Has anyone tried recording the Syn-1 or 2 direct (not the cab sim out) but using an IR in your DAW? Are you running to a poweramp/head first and then using a load box, or running direct? I haven't had luck in the past trying to go direct with my Egnater M4. It sounded very unnatural and a bit fizzy compared to using a head to go direct for example. I even played around a bit in wall of sound plugin with their poweramp modeling which didn't help too much.

Just my opinion but I don't really like the sound I was getting going direct with using an IR in my DAW. Much better luck looping the power station into itself and using the line out so I got the power amp mojo. Also my axe fx sounds much better and great direct even.

The Torpedo CAB is perfect for this but I really like the cab sim on the SYN2. I just can't get a feel using WOS with the latency. Using both outputs on the SYN2, one to a CAB > DAW and the other direct to DAW lets you get a tone you can perform with and a direct signal you can later apply WOS or re-amp.

If using Syn1 there is only one Di Xlr
If using with studio monitors can you get a xlr that goes out stereo
Or would you need Syn2 to do that stupid question I know

MarcoR said:
The Torpedo CAB is perfect for this but I really like the cab sim on the SYN2. I just can't get a feel using WOS with the latency. Using both outputs on the SYN2, one to a CAB > DAW and the other direct to DAW lets you get a tone you can perform with and a direct signal you can later apply WOS or re-amp.

I was also looking at this type of solution to avoid latency

keg8605 said:
Just my opinion but I don't really like the sound I was getting going direct with using an IR in my DAW. Much better luck looping the power station into itself and using the line out so I got the power amp mojo. Also my axe fx sounds much better and great direct even.

So you prefer your Axe FX Direct? I have a Kemper, but not always 100% convinced recording. For now i'm not getting rid of the Kemper, but wouldn't mind another quiet/direct recording solution with the MTS/Synergy. I may also go down the Power Station route, it would solve a lot of solutions...wish it were stereo though :)

In short yes I do actually. The direct tone I was always pleased with the axe fx XL. It was putting it through a guitar cab that always was missing something for me. So now I really feel like i have just about the best of everything.

For me I like all the options except running direct to my DAW. Straight Axe sounds good. Syn2 into axe fx into CAB block sounded good (adding tape drive before cab block helped with a little power amp mojo). Syn2 into powerstation looping back into itself and line out into axe fx with cab block sounded great. Lastly just running the syn2 in the loop of the axe fx is working great. I'm really happy with the tone and feel I'm getting. Think I'll be sticking with the Synergy Stuff for awhile.

Thats one of the things i don't like about the Kemper, you can't run a preamp in to it and bypass everything and just use the CAB and or effects. you can do the opposite, bypass the cab and the fx...hopefully someday they'll add that.

I'm going to get one synergy module soon to play in my Egnater M4, and hopefully sometime i'll be able to upgrade to a Syn-2 and add more modules. Now to decide which module...i'm leaning towards Metroplex or maybe the BE (in clips i thought the HBE sounded a lot like my hi gain Egnater modules, a little too compressed).

MarcoR said:

yeh I'm not sure how people do this **** with all that lag

I use the hacked digitech 1101 to load IR's and there's little or no lag, but there's pretty much only one IR (I loaded) that I like (and I don't love it, I only like it)
I was considering forking over the $$ for the torpedo studio but... **** that's expensive.

Any idea what speaker the SYN is loading Marco? its good yes? you have choices? the other choices suck ***?

Capt_Tippy said:
Any idea what speaker the SYN is loading Marco? its good yes? you have choices? the other choices suck ***?

I don't know what curve they are trying to emulate but I'll speculate it's based on the same circuit Bruce came up with that was used in his cabs a long time ago as a direct out to PA. That was based on the frequency curve of a Celestion vintage 30 mic'd with a 57.

yeh that's a good speaker. I could imagine being able to live with it if the IR is reasonably accurate.