Connecting 2 X SYN2

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

serge20261

Reaction score
I’m thinking of purchasing a second SYN2,and doing all the midi switching via a Fractal Audio FX8:I’m a bit confused as to how it would work,One unit would have to be bypassed,whilst the second SYN2 would have a channel selected
Would they require seperate midi channels?
A video demo from Synergy would be great.

I just spent a few minutes trying to think how I would connect it and I ran into a few problems. In the SYN2 manual, it describes the connections but I'm not tracking... It seems you would lose the FX loop in the first to connect the second and then the fx loop in the second wouldn't be available in all configurations.

Connecting Multiple Syn2s
You can run multiple Syn2s from a single MIDI controller and have them work together. To do this, connect
the MIDI Thru jack of the first Syn2 to the MIDI Input jack of the second. The main input of the second Syn2
connects to the first Syn2’s loop send. The main output of the second Syn2 connects to the first Syn2’s loop
return.

For most systems, it’s recommended that you set your Syn2s to the same MIDI channel. You can follow the
programming instructions above, repeating the steps for each Syn2. When you want to access the second
Syn2, make sure that the first Syn2 is set to bypass.

What they suggest wouldn't work because with the first SYN2 bypassed, the second SYN2 would be running in the loop of the host amp with the host amp pre section active.

I'm going to think about it some more...

Edit: I'm not seeing a way to have multiple SYN2 and a host amp without an additional audio switcher/router...

I've been considering this as well but I'm not using a head at all just the powerstation so I don't need an FXLoop. Serge we were messaging on the FAS forum. Regarding Midi it sounds like you would have to send two midi commands to bypass the 1st syn2 and select the channel on the 2nd syn 2. I wonder if on the FX8 you can send two midi cc's per footswitch with scenes. Otherwise maybe an extra midi controller would be best. Certainly gets a bit complicated.

If you don't need to worry about a host amp, it should be easy to connect. For the FX8, you would probably need to assign a different midi channel to each SYN2 so you could control one with PC and the other with CC as the FX8 only allows one each per scene.