Module not seateing

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ricky

Reaction score
So I have 26+ mods and this is a pretty rare occurrence. I have had mods that seem to have an issue in that I plug them in and the tone drops out (usually) and if I press on the mod at the top/center the tone goes in and out. I have had this with JF and Motor City and if Matt or Rob sends me another module, the problem is gone. I still have a Wrecked and a SuproBolt that are experiencing this issue and was wondering if anyone has a quick fix. I thought that a few years back Rob or someone else talked about the older modules were a few mm shorter or something and was wondering if anyone had any quick fix ideas?
thx
rick

The seating can be adjusted by addition/removal of washers behind the pots from what I remember.....unfortunately that requires removal of module from carrier.

it's not difficult but check out the model construction and you will see.

In very rare cases, there was an issue with tolerance on PCB compared to amp that cannot be adjust this way.

JKD said:
The seating can be adjusted by addition/removal of washers behind the pots from what I remember.....unfortunately that requires removal of module from carrier.

it's not difficult but check out the model construction and you will see.

In very rare cases, there was an issue with tolerance on PCB compared to amp that cannot be adjust this way.

What JKD said. I came across a mod that would not work in my amp because is was modded on one of the first batch of modules produced. Or something like that anyway.

I did remove the chassis and added some spacers behind a board somewhere and my current mods fit nice and tight. Still didn't fix the one that didn't work though.

Yes, that´s the best way to do it. You can´t really fix the module by itself as the PCB is screwed onto the metal chassis of the module. Some users reported that a thick layer of soldering tin on the rear solder joints of the module solved the issue. But that only works for some modules with contact problems.

Not sure if it is the same issue, TRIMIX. Mine are always powered up. It is just a weird thing where I lose some tone until I press on the module in the upper center of it. 27 out of 30 mods have no problem and if I press on the upper/center it has not effect. However, three of them all have the same issue. So I am unsure if it is in the amp section or the module itself.
JKD, I am not sure what you mean by putting the washers behind the pots. Can you clarify a little for me? I am really glad that I am not the only one with this issue as I was feeling a little crazy about it.
rick

A long time ago I ordered some new modules from my local Randall dealer when they arrived I took them home and they would not fit/slide completely in. Went back to the dealer and he tried to install them in his amps and had the same issue. Sent them back to Randall for new replacements that worked fine. i can't remember what the issue was something to do with the PCB height.

ricky said:
Not sure if it is the same issue, TRIMIX. Mine are always powered up. It is just a weird thing where I lose some tone until I press on the module in the upper center of it. 27 out of 30 mods have no problem and if I press on the upper/center it has not effect. However, three of them all have the same issue. So I am unsure if it is in the amp section or the module itself.
JKD, I am not sure what you mean by putting the washers behind the pots. Can you clarify a little for me? I am really glad that I am not the only one with this issue as I was feeling a little crazy about it.
rick

Actually....I'm not even sure that method works I was told it a long time ago and I had some modules with >1 washer behind the pots (between the face of the pot and the upright part of the metal sled.

Looking at the sled, it's secured in several places by screws/nuts and is unlikely to alter the position of the PCB relative to the sled.

I have an RM100, an RM50 and 9 modules. My Recto module that I just acquired on ebay does not work in channel 3 of the RM100, but it does work in the other two channels of the RM 100 and in both channels of the RM50. My other 8 modules work in every channel in both amps, so it is just that one module in that one channel. My question is, if I take my RM100 in for service and ask the tech to perform the modification shown in the youtube video, will this effect the fit of the other modules into any of the 3 channels;i.e., would it be like robbing Peter to pay Paul? Would I be better off trying to return the module and hopIng the next one fits? If performing the amp mod would guarantee that all my current modules and any aquired in the future would fit correctly, I would do it in a heartbeat. Otherwise, every time I bid on a new module I will have to worry about whether not it will fit and if the seller accepts returns. Also, technically speaking, is the defect with the module or the amp? Since one of the posters mentioned that Randall replaced his module when he had the same problem, I am assuming that Randall considers it a problem with the module? Otherwise, wouldn't they have instructed him to take the amp to an authorized Randall service center for modification.

Most likely you just need to shim the PCB under the last module slot in the RM100 and it will then be 'short module' compatible. The 'defect' is your Recto PCB being a wee bit shorter than the majority of mods. The tolerances on assembling the heads were pretty loose, so you've got two slots with enough slop to make the necessary contact, while the third one is a bit too long to reach.
As you can see from your first two slots, shortening up the slot doesn't affect the fit of the rest of your modules, easy fix.

What a coincidence that this topic came up again. I had a session and wanted to use my JF Wrecked on it. I put it in the bay and the usual happened....it was like the volume was full up. Again, I could press on the module and it would go in and out. What I then tried worked on it: I took a piece of foam about 1/16" thick and put it at the top of the module on the left hand side before screwing it in. I am not sure what it did but it worked! I can now use the volume knob on the module. I will try it on the other couple of modules soon.