Mixed power tubes KT88/EL34 in RM100 (Video to come)

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rilke

Reaction score
Hi all!
I've recently ordered some new powertubes for my rm100 head (2 Genalex Gold lion kt88's and 2 EL34b-STR TAD's) to replace some older sovtek el34g's that are presently in the amp.
Besides that I'll be changing v1 & v3 preamp tubes (first preamp tube + phase inverter, tbh I don't know which tubes are presently in those) to two NOS Raytheon long black plate 12ax7's.

The plan is that I'll record some tones before ANY changes/after preamp tube changes/ and after preamp+poweramp tube changes, so I'll (and by extension you guys) can be able to hear how each of these tube changes affect the overall sound.

My plan is to record the changes through my Salvation Mods Mamba as it is the module I have I presently like the most (have the S1S0 + Angel-E aswell). The RM100 in question has the Salvation mods MDA upgrade installed aswell.

Let me know if there are any requests or questions or pitfalls ( Definitely regarding the pitfalls :) ). If I have the time to rebias twice, I'll audition the poweramp tubes with both the KT88's in the two center slots and in the outer slots, so we can see how that affects tone.

Best regards
Christian
//Mørkværk Studio

Thanks! The tubes will be arriving sometime next week, so I'll probably have some snippets up end of next week or the start of the week after :)

Also anticipating a cool vid! Thanks for doing this.....It's always fun to see and hear more MTS experiences....

I've done the tube blending that you will be doing and found it yielded interesting results. Extremely curious to see how yours goes....

All the best!

Hey thanks alot Matt! Yeah I thought I might aswell make a video since I was doing it anyway, also because it's easy to find alot of opinions regarding tubes, but a lot harder to find clips :) Since I have the gear to make a good audio recording (no promise on the quality of the video part haha) I thought I might aswell record the proces.

I think perhaps the good thing is that the recording eliminates a bit of the placebo experience when you change tubes (new/NOS/better tubes=always better) and hopefully allows a bit more unbiased opinion regarding the tubes.

Curious to hear, did you end up with you kt88's in outer or inner configuration ?