RT2/50 Tube Layout?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Resonant Alien

Reaction score
Can anyone confirm the tube layout in the RT2/50? Looking at the back of the amp, I think it's Ch2 power tubes on the left, Ch1 power tubes on the right. What about the 12AX7 input drivers and phase inverter? Is it Left-to-Right from back: Ch2 input driver, Ch1 input driver, phase inverter?

Thanks
Rick

I always forget the powertube/channel layout even though I've posted it probably 5 or 6 times lol...I eventually put tape on mine so I'd remember.

There's a phase inverter for each pair of power tubes and they are in the middle of the two respective channels power tube pairs..leaving the one over on the side as the input buffer/driver...it's common to both channels.

Got an answer from Bruce himself via email. Layout is as below:

Left to Right, Top to Bottom, looking at the amp from behind:

Ch2 Pwr Tube1 >>>>>> Ch2 Pwr Tube2 >>>>>>> Ch1 Pwr Tube1>>>>>>>>>Ch1 Pwr Tube2
Ch2 Phase Inverter >>>>>>>> Input driver/buffer (both) >>>>>>>>> Ch1 Phase Inverter

So there are 2 P.I. tubes? Does anyone use anything special in these positions? Since there's a P.I. for each channel, is it worth using different tubes to complement the power tubes? I usually ran something like a Sovtek 12AX7LPS in my MOD50 P.I. position.

digging one up from the grave

has anyone come to any conclusions for themselves on this question.

2 x PI. does it matter? what do you use?

withmittens said:
digging one up from the grave

has anyone come to any conclusions for themselves on this question.

2 x PI. does it matter? what do you use?

I read the comment above yours and was like pfft... that **** doesn't matter.. and then realized it was my comment. :shock:

I was using it in switching mode at the time and wondered if anyone could notice a difference in the PI I guess...
The PI can make a difference especially if the one you're replace was bad. If your a real sniffer you might notice a difference with different PIs but if your using two types of power tubes, how would you know?

yeah, to be honest, I guess i can hear a slight difference if I have an AT7 in one and AX7 in the other. maybe but again, all the mods are different

then it's just taste in tubes and how much money you have.

Mattfig said:
I like a 5751 in the PI spots of all Randall MTS amps including RT2/50.....Just a personal preference I guess....JAN GE sound best but are spendy...

I had a 5751 JAN GE once, pricey little bugger
..then the frigging bulb failed within just a few weeks use :x
while the various cheap *** MiC pre's I use are still going strong to this day