Synergy VS Egnater : cathode switch

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks a lot for the explanation Rob,
Just to be sure, you say : " The other two variations provided via the Synergy modules and hardware ... "
Does it mean that this 3 way switch works only in Synergy hardware ?
Does it work in Randall and Egnater hardware also ?

The circuit being switched is inside the Synergy amps and rack units, not on the modules. There are switches on the modules and that setting tells the Synergy amp which setting to use. This allows for different settings to be activated at the module level, but only when used in a Synergy amp. When they are used in a Randall or Egnater amp the Fender (1K5/22uF) setting is used regardless of the switch setting, as that's the only option available inside of those amps.

Jaded Faith said:
The circuit being switched is inside the Synergy amps and rack units, not on the modules. There are switches on the modules and that setting tells the Synergy amp which setting to use. This allows for different settings to be activated at the module level, but only when used in a Synergy amp. When they are used in a Randall or Egnater amp the Fender (1K5/22uF) setting is used regardless of the switch setting, as that's the only option available inside of those amps.

Thanks, Rob! That should be stickied because it will be asked a million times.

Ok thanks, that would have been too easy I guess ...
And if I get it right : " the initial gain stage in all MTS is always in the amp/preamp itself ... " This initial stage is driven by the 12AX7 tube on Egnater M4 and Randall RM4 ? So by changing tube type and/or brand it should affect the initial gain ?

max44 said:
This initial stage is driven by the 12AX7 tube on Egnater M4 and Randall RM4 ? So by changing tube type and/or brand it should affect the initial gain ?
Put your best tube there, every module will benefit!

max44 said:
Ok thanks, that would have been too easy I guess ...
And if I get it right : " the initial gain stage in all MTS is always in the amp/preamp itself ... " This initial stage is driven by the 12AX7 tube on Egnater M4 and Randall RM4 ? So by changing tube type and/or brand it should affect the initial gain ?
Correct and Marco gave good advice regarding using a quality tube there. It benefits every module used in the unit because that's the first stop for your signal after the input jack. From that tube it's routed to the modules.

so, it happens on the preamp end before the P1 of the amp? hence why it's on Syn1 & Syn2, and why Rob mentions a modded board previous to Synergy

So why are there 2 preamp tubes on the back of the M4 and only 1 on Syn 2.
I'm not talking about the old M4s with the loops. The later M4s and the reissues have 2 preamp tubes.

max44 said:
I wonder too, my later dual channel M4 has indeed 2 tubes : one 12AX7 and one 12AT7 ...

I believe V2 is the output buffer on the dual M4. Synergy probably didn't go for a tube driven buffer to save some space?

Ok,
And do you know which one is V1 ?

Top/right tube emplacement is labelled 12AT7
Bottom/left tube emplacement is labelled 12AX7
But actually both tubes were the same (12AX7) and the same model as in all of my modules (stock and mods) : Sovtek 7025 / 12AX7WA

I tried different tubes in both emplacements :
- Electro-Harmonix 12AX7EH : they give more gain overall ... good for hi-gain modules
- TAD 12AX7 A-C : I like these as they seem to "open" every module, and specially the low/mid gain modules for blues sounds (T/D - COD ...)

Thanks Rob!

Any chance you know what the new Synergy Sag control is doing (browning out B+, or?)?

Jaded Faith said:

What circuit is the Synergy hardware (rack or amp) using if you don't use Synergy modules? Is there a default setting that the hardware uses if no Synergy modules is used?
Does the last Synergy module used in a particular hardware sets the input circuit for all future non-Synergy mods to use until a new Synergy module is used?

j4q0 said:
Jaded Faith said:

What circuit is the Synergy hardware (rack or amp) using if you don't use Synergy modules? Is there a default setting that the hardware uses if no Synergy modules is used?
Does the last Synergy module used in a particular hardware sets the input circuit for all future non-Synergy mods to use until a new Synergy module is used?

If you use a non-Synergy module a Synergy unit will default to the same circuit as the Randall/Egnater gear.

Jaded Faith said:

if I understood all this, if for example I had three different amplifiers (Egnater M4, Rocktron VP4 preamp and Egnater MOD50 head) could I decide to modify them each with one of the three different values, respectively?
in this case, depending on which module would be used, could I assign it to the respective preamp with the correct value?
if this were correct, it would be enough to modify the value of the capacities and resistances of the preamp input, right?