SYN2 sag control, Syn2 vs M4

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hated the Syn 2 the first day I had it until I realized that the sag control needs to be on zero or close to it. I also noticed the Syn 2 has one preamp tube versus the M4 which has 2 preamp tubes. Anyone know what's up with that? I don't notice a difference in the sound between the 2 but I'm using Salvation and Jaded Faith mods.

The SAG knob is a Steve Fryette innovation. When you play an amp loud, the power supply "sags" (the voltage drops) and creates some of the compression/bloom that you hear, especially in lower power amps. Since the SYN1 and SYN2 are preamps, there is no power supply sag happening as in an actual amp. The sag circuit is dynamically sensing the signal level and causes the high voltage supply to "sag" as it would in an actual power amp. The trick is to adjust it to just soften the feel, like a poweramp compressing, as opposed to outright compressing it by setting it too high.

the descriptions of what the Sag feature does sounds nothing like the feel gotten from a vintage non master amp, a larger one +40 watts. Although the words like compression and bloom are the right words to describe what happens with an amp like that there is no "loss" of power or falloff in dynamics. It's pretty much a power punch to the chest and an organic harmonic explosion that is lush and complex. It doesn't apply to high gain, either. gain has it's own compression thing. power tube distortion has this effect just by default. the old thing, it breathes.

I just don't think modern amps are designed to get this kind of thing. It's either or in my opinion. You either play a modern amp and all the tones associated with that or you play a vintage non master amp (or one designed like one) and you get that.

there is no denying the feel and sound of the old thing. my Gibson Mercury is a badass amp that blooms and sags like crazy but is not softened, limited or controlled in any way like a compressor. It's just a thing that can't be emulated, in my simple opinion.

I've got the sag control feature on my Fryette gp/di valvulator, probably the same thing as implemented on the syn2. Wish I could say I find it useful, but I don't, the only time I touch that knob is to turn it all the way down - in case it accidentally wasn't on set to zero. So in that regard I'd rather not have it at all.

I think if you are a classic rock 70s Plexi player the Sag may be useful to the feel you are accustomed to BUT a modern hi gain player SAG is not at all desirable in fact most Hi gain designs filter the hell out of the power section
to keep it sag free and tight

The problem I’ve ran into with the sag on the syn 2 is when switching between clean , dirt and high gain channels . With the sag dialed on the clean it gives a fuller sound and just feels better , with the dirt channel it seems to do the same , but then when I switch to the high gain channel the tone seems overly saturated and the feel is chocked like trying to play a pinch harmonic on the neck pick up type of feel and sound . So I guess imo there are a couple of ways one could go about this , the first would be to add more gain to the clean channel so it’s just enough to cause the signal to feel full . For the dirt channel I use just enough gain to get some breaking up then I back off and use the volume to make up for it . Also leaving the sag control at around inbetween 8-10 o clock seems to be a good sweet spot that doesn’t mess with the high gain settings . Another thing I noticed is that when playing thru the syn 2 after 5 min of powering it on , the sag light lights up , but the more the tubes heat up the less and less the sag light comes on , then eventually it doesn’t even blink at all . This is sort of strange and caught me off guard a few times until I noticed it . The first couple times I had to dial the sag almost full tilt before the light blinked but then my tone sucked literally . So keep that in mind if you notice the sag light not blinking .

I would not compare SAG to a compressor, it lessens the attack response on the signal, for some high gain fast attack tones you probably don't want it. And for sure you only want the LED to flicker on when you do use it. I find it to make most things sound better a little less stale and abrupt which was probably Fryette's notion.

I would not compare SAG to a compressor, it lessens the attack response on the signal, for some high gain fast attack tones you probably don't want it. And for sure you only want the LED to flicker on when you do use it. I find it to make most things sound better a little less stale and abrupt which was probably Fryette's notion.
Imo it does the same thing as the response knob on my be-50 except on a smaller scale , it’s hard to hear unless you have it full on , but then it sounds like trash that high , there’s a subtlety to it and like you said it’s a feel thing for sure . Without it the clean channel doesn’t respond as well .