Clean sound from Metropoulos module?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacknoize

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a SYN2 with the Metropoulos and HBE (or Soldano) modules. From the videos I've watched I'm pretty sure the the Metropoulos and HBE will cover everything I want from overdriven plexi to modded Marshall.

How well does the Metropoulos module clean up? I'd prefer to just use a low gain setting on one channel of the module, but could roll back my guitar volume if needed.

I know if won't be Vox or Fender clean, but that's okay. Links to videos or sound samples are appreciated.

Thanks!

Consider the DS module for what you want; the A channel can get a great clean or crunch and the B channel sounds fantastic. I didn't care for the HBE but very happy with the SLO, fwiw.

I completely agree with Marco! I ended up moving to the TDLX and SLO though. The Friedmas DS does do a decent clean, crunch and drive though. Love the SLO for rhythm and lead.

I like my HBE but find the SLO much more versatile / pleasing to my ears.

in comparison, does the DS sound more thin or nasally (high midrangy) as opposed to a more balanced or full Marshall sound that the Metropoulos seems to have?

withmittens said:
in comparison, does the DS sound more thin or nasally (high midrangy) as opposed to a more balanced or full Marshall sound that the Metropoulos seems to have?

The DS is definitely more full and open sounding than thin or nasally.

Haven't played the Metropoulos yet but it sounds great in the demos. I don't know how well it would clean up though...

MarcoR said:
withmittens said:

Haven't played the Metropoulos yet but it sounds great in the demos. I don't know how well it would clean up though...
I have the Metroplex module, the blue channel doesn’t clean up to the point of being a clean channel. Lower gain, but still dirty - at least on my Les Paul.

On the DS, doesn’t it get to a real clean without turning down guitar volume?

teofilrocks said:

Channel A can get a great clean tone to mid gain. Just keep the gain below 10:00 and turn up the volume to compensate. I have the gain set at about 9:00 and the master at about 3:00 with a compressor and it's a nice pristine clean.

MarcoR said:
teofilrocks said:

Channel A can get a great clean tone to mid gain. Just keep the gain below 10:00 and turn up the volume to compensate. I have the gain set at about 9:00 and the master at about 3:00 with a compressor and it's a nice pristine clean.
Thanks Marco~

I just ordered a demo unit from Sweetwater to try it out. I was going to wait for the BE50 module, but for whatever reason, I haven't been able bond with Friedman's BE sound. Maybe the SLO or something from Bogner will do it.

If the DS can cover a good range of clean to real crunch, I may only need 2 modules to cover all the territory I like. We'll see.. :wink:

teofilrocks said:
MarcoR said:
teofilrocks said:

Thanks Marco~

I just ordered a demo unit from Sweetwater to try it out. I was going to wait for the BE50 module, but for whatever reason, I haven't been able bond with Friedman's BE sound. Maybe the SLO or something from Bogner will do it.

If the DS can cover a good range of clean to real crunch, I may only need 2 modules to cover all the territory I like. We'll see.. :wink:

2 Modules...where's the fun in that? :roll:

How did you order a demo unit? Or do you mean bought their demo unit?

chrismilne said:

There's no fun in only 2. There's even less fun when my wife accepts the delivery for another SYN2 and two more modules. We're about at that point right now. Unloading some gear as we speak. ;)

Yea, Sweetwater had a demo module listed so I saved a few bucks and ordered that one.

teofilrocks said:
MarcoR said:
withmittens said:

I have the Metroplex module, the blue channel doesn’t clean up to the point of being a clean channel. Lower gain, but still dirty - at least on my Les Paul.

Its also been my experience with the Metroplex module that achieving a 'clean' channel is pretty difficult. This was with a strat/low-output single coils, too.

Got the DS module in today and compared it to the Metroplex module. Yup, the DS can get clean like the Metro can't. I had to bring the DS blue channel gain down to 9:00, with bright switch off. The bright switch boosts the signal and adds a touch of hair, which sounds great, but isn't completely clean. Back the guitar volume off just a little and ease on the pick attack and it's goood.

Now the tough part, deciding on which I like more. Liking the DS on the clean side, but prefer the Metro for the gain sides. DS I think has more bottom end, cathode bias switches being in the same position for each.

Hmm. I was really trying get clean, low, mid, and high gain all in one SYN2. The first 3 from slot #1 ideally.

teofilrocks said:
chrismilne said:

There's no fun in only 2. There's even less fun when my wife accepts the delivery for another SYN2 and two more modules. We're about at that point right now. Unloading some gear as we speak. ;)

Yea, Sweetwater had a demo module listed so I saved a few bucks and ordered that one.

Understand completely :cry:

teofilrocks said:
Got the DS module in today and compared it to the Metroplex module. Yup, the DS can get clean like the Metro can't. I had to bring the DS blue channel gain down to 9:00, with bright switch off. The bright switch boosts the signal and adds a touch of hair, which sounds great, but isn't completely clean. Back the guitar volume off just a little and ease on the pick attack and it's goood.

Now the tough part, deciding on which I like more. Liking the DS on the clean side, but prefer the Metro for the gain sides. DS I think has more bottom end, cathode bias switches being in the same position for each.

Hmm. I was really trying get clean, low, mid, and high gain all in one SYN2. The first 3 from slot #1 ideally.

This is where my old Egnater M4 will be missed if sell for a Syn-2. Though, i don't see myself touring anytime soon so probably not a huge deal.