Synergy Modules with Egnater Mod 50

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mackid

Reaction score
Just got 2 Synergy Modules for use with my Mod 50. But when I went to use them, I found out that they will only fit into the right slot. They don't have as much clearance in the back as my Egnater modules, so they seem to hang up on the motherboard. I can't get them to go in enough to actually work with the amp. :evil: I am wondering if other Mod 50 owner that have bought Synergy Modules have had the same issue or if this is unique to my amp.

mackid

I've used synergy modules in both slot of my MOD50 with no issues - the left slot was a bit more work to get in but once seated they were fine.

The synergy modules definitely use all the space in inside the module thats for sure - I'd try Marco's suggestion and pop off the tube cage and see if that helps!

Ross

Also check to see if there are any uneven spots on the edge of the PCB, which might bind in the module rails.

The Synergy PCBs seem really thick.

My MOD50 is tighter in one slot than the other (missis!) but then so is my SYN2...but is a marginal thing.

I have the same issue with my mod50 and the Diezel Synergy module. I contacted Synergy and they said there’s a cap in the way. However I took my mod50 apart and it is the QC12 that is in the way. No sign of a capacitor on either side of the board that I could see. It’s a small vertical piece of metal connecting two points on the board with a wire attached. The pcbs are a bit longer on the Synergy stuff which is why this is an issue. I wonder if the piece of metal could be soldered to the other side of the board or replaced with a lower profile piece of metal. Anyhow that doesn’t fit my definition of “backward compatible.”

I don’t know about an rm50 but I can tell you it won’t fit in the left most slot of my rm100 either. It does fit in the two right hand slots. It also does fit in all slots of my M4 and the one slot of my rm20.

I wrote to the Synergy guys last month to inform them about this when repairing a local guys MOD100. Bruce used two different types of Molex connectors throughout the course of the MOD50/100 production runs. All Randall amps used what I call "closed" headers and some Egnater modular amps did as well. However, many Egnater modular amps used an "open" header that stands a little more than twice as high off the PCB. Synergy modules will barely fit with the open style header amps and they crush the wires. This will eventually wear through the wires and create an issue. There is no known workaround and removing the tube cage will do nothing for the problem. It only impact the first (far left) slot.

Jaded Faith said:
I wrote to the Synergy guys last month to inform them about this when repairing a local guys MOD100. Bruce used two different types of Molex connectors throughout the course of the MOD50/100 production runs. All Randall amps used what I call "closed" headers and some Egnater modular amps did as well. However, many Egnater modular amps used an "open" header that stands a little more than twice as high off the PCB. Synergy modules will barely fit with the open style header amps and they crush the wires. This will eventually wear through the wires and create an issue. There is no known workaround and removing the tube cage will do nothing for the problem. It only impact the first (far left) slot.

Hey Rob - is there any way to easily visually tell which one our Egatner amp has?

Am I correct in assuming the closed don't have the issue?

Thanks!

The open are usually white and use a gray female connector. From the PCB to the end of the connector they stand around 3/4" tall. The closed are usually green and stand about 1/4" with connector. Look at any pictures of the Foglifters on my wesite (http://www.jadedfaithmods.com/foglifters.html) to see closed headers. All of the pictures there are closed.