What am I doing wrong

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sherpa_man

Reaction score
I have a syn 2 and four modules. It’s just lacking something. The vh4 module just doesn’t have the bite. Same as the other modules. It’s just lacking something. I run the synergy 2 through the loop on my Wizard. Could it be that? Do I need to buy a power amp?

After dropping almost £2500 I’m disappointed. Hoping for some advice.

Do I need to wait for the head version.

Watching the videos from NAMM, turn your amp into a vh4 or a Slo, am I expecting to much?

I don’t want to drop money on the power amp and be let down.

Are you running anything else with your set up?

I had to spend some time getting my levels right when I started using the RM series amps years ago. My guess is that this is probably the case here as well.

Where are the volumes set in your modules? What kind of signal are you getting out of the send from your amp?

sherpa_man said:
I have a syn 2 and four modules. It’s just lacking something. The vh4 module just doesn’t have the bite. Same as the other modules. It’s just lacking something. I run the synergy 2 through the loop on my Wizard. Could it be that? Do I need to buy a power amp?

After dropping almost £2500 I’m disappointed. Hoping for some advice.

Do I need to wait for the head version.

Watching the videos from NAMM, turn your amp into a vh4 or a Slo, am I expecting to much?

I don’t want to drop money on the power amp and be let down.

I don't think the Power amp is going to change your opinion too much. Did you watch the recent video with Bruce Egnater, i think he tames down that opinion a bit of your module is going to sound just like the real thing (that the marketing folks like to say).

I too am not 100% sure i'm on the right path or should i just get a few good heads, or some heads and pedals, etc...I've had my Egnater Preamp for so long i just want it to keep working but i've never been 100% satisfied...though i'm not sure i even know what that means :D

All that being said, it could be something with the fx loop on the Wizard or how you are running it, so it would definitely be good to try another amp or a power amp if you can borrow one or take your synergy gear somewhere and try a poweramp with it (just say you came to buy the poweramp at the store...and maybe you wilL!)

i'm curious to hear someone comparing a BE with a BE-OD pedal. For some reason though it sounds like the BE-OD pedals have way more gain than the BE Modules. The BE Syn module seems to be closer to the Small Box BE from clips i've heard.

I think the better demos I've seen (specifically Shawn Tubbs) have been using the DI out. I'm not sure that the power amp will have a huge effect, but I'd probably try it with different cabs. YMMV. Good luck!

Shawn Tubbs videos are mic'ed with a Shure SM57/Royer 121 combo as far as i know.

I have recorded a little test to hear the Synergy's direct out vs using my Fryette Power Station's reactive load (going back through the Fryette itself to get it's power tube saturation and tone shaping) and into a DAW using a few different IR's. I thought the built in cab sim was much better than i expected but not as natural sounding as going through the tube poweramp and using the IR's.

Nady 100 head and used TUBE SCREAMER 808. You now have a fire 🔥 breather. Hit the input of the Synergy then go to the head and WALLA! $225 very well spent! You also get an 800 clone with the Nady 100 when you hit it with the TS. Problem solved with more tone to boot!