Linking SYN-2 and RM4 ?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnjazz

Reaction score
I've read in a few places where you can link multiple units together for additional channels but I haven't had any luck making it work yet.

Anyone here ever link an RM4/M4 to a SYN-2 for more channel switching options?

I've got my RM4 patched into the "amp loop" of the SYN-2 and linked via MIDI. Channel switching seems to work, but on my 1-4 channels (SYN) both the SYN and the RM4 run, so I get both preamps at the same time and a lot of white noise as well. For 5-8 I set the SYN for bypass and the RM4 for the 4 module bays and it switches but I get no sound.

Ideally I'd like MIDI 1-4 to be the SYN channels and MIDI 5-8 to be the RM4. Can the RM4 be put into bypass at all?

I just did what you're doing as a test a couple days ago.

If you're using MIDI presets 1-4 for the 4 channels in the SYN2, then the unit is not in bypass, therefore you shouldn't be hearing the RM4 at the same time.
When the SYN2 is not in bypass so you shouldn't be hearing the RM4 at all.

The RM4 doesn't have a bypass.

Thanks!

Ok, then I’m confused on exactly how to patch the RM4 into the SYN-2. I used the input and pre-loop outputs on the RM4 to go into the amp send/return on the Syn-2. I’m running 4cm into the Syn-2 though. If I select channels 1-4 I definitely get both preamps. Oddly enough selecting 1-4 still switches the RM4 channels as well even though I set the RM4 to channels 5-8.

Can you run 4cm and do this? Seems like that’s where the issue might lie?

I had it connected like this:

Guitar > SYN2 (RM4 in lopp)
SYN2 "to amp in" connected to RM4 input > RM4 output connected to "from amp fx send" > SYN2 "to amp fx return" connected to Power amp in.

Basically treating the RM4 as the preamp section of a head, and treating the power amp as the power amp section of a head.

On thing I noticed was that the SYN2 volume pot doesn't work in this setup. You'll need to balance the outputs between both units with the level switch on the back of the SYN2 and the master output of the RM4, then control everything with your power amp's master vol.

Not sure how this works with a head that don't have a master vol, like the EVH. I guess the master vol of each module will let you adjust levels, although you probably won't be able to run those above noon if this is the case, at least this would happen with the RM4 since it has more output than the SYN2, I guess because of the output 12AX7 in the RM4?

Getting this actually working took forever because apparently I failed reading comprehension in school.

Once I realized I had to use the "amp out" on the Synergy, it worked like a charm. I've even got it working 4CM and switching all the channels between the Synergy and the RM4.

Thanks so much for your help!