Salvation or JF Mesa (mark and recto) vs triaxis

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was a Triaxis player for many years. At first I used a 2:90, but I was much happier with the tone of the 50/50. I agree that you'll never get a proper recto tone out of the Triaxis.
I think the MarkUS is best at vintage Boogie tones. Mark I to Mark III.
The JF MarkX is better for Mark IV and V tones.
The JF Erect is a bad *** Recto mod!
I'm totally in love with my Mamba, but I think the JF Erect is a MUCH better "Recto" tone.

Mattfig said:
Riculus said:
JF MarkX hands down...and Rob can tweak it if you want to narrow your own sound down. The only improvement would be for it to be midi controllable with 100 presets :lol:

:lol: +1 for the Mark X as well ... A hundred MIDI controllable presets that displayed by simple motorized faders and toggles! Shouldn't be too much to ask from our modding community - I mean, there's all that wasted space in there already- might as well do something useful with it. Although, my Mark X is pretty dialed in where I like it so I'd be wasting 99 presets. Don't think I've touched the settings in the last several uses.

mmmm. Motorized faders...dialing Rob as we speak. :twisted:

I know I am somehow alone here on this opinion, but If you want Boogie tone.....get Boogie.
I love my MTS, especially the Angel, but the MarkUS didn't cut it at all for me.
I've owned a Rectifier ,Mark IV, and Triaxis.
I have yet to hear a module that sounds like a Mark IV or Traxis.
There are some good Rectifier mods though.

And going back to the original questions, I've heard the MarkUS right next to a Mark IV and no comparison, sorry (but I gueass it's not supposed to sound like a Mark IV)....whatever.

Also, a RM4 through a 2:90 kills.

AND... whoever said the Triaxis is not a metal preamp is crazy!
That thing gets some crushing high gain tight metal tone!

If you're gonna stick with MTS, Try a handful of modded modules and sell the ones that didn't work for you.
Don't try and "match" a tone you've had or heard before.
That's a Line 6 mentality.
A lot of them really aren't like the original anyway. Some may may even be better while different from the original.

Tight high gain...try SISO, Trillogy, Angel, Mamba, XMG...etc.

@audiomidijace

I din't personally care for early Mark series amps, but love the Mark IV and V. So it make sense that I don't like the MarkUS

I haven't heard the MarkX yet other than youtube clips and quite frankly, they don't make me want to buy one. I talked to Rob about the quality of Jaded Faith clips out there and he agreed. He said he was working on good quality clips for a bunch of modules.

I may try out the MarkX if I like what I hear.
(although the Salvation MarkUS clips sound amazing)
The MarkUS I had sounded nothing like what I heard.

Kinda goes back to my point about trying out a bunch of modded modules before you know which is best for you.

And so the addiction continues......

grbassist said:
@audiomidijace

I din't personally care for early Mark series amps, but love the Mark IV and V. So it make sense that I don't like the MarkUS

I haven't heard the MarkX yet other than youtube clips and quite frankly, they don't make me want to buy one. I talked to Rob about the quality of Jaded Faith clips out there and he agreed. He said he was working on good quality clips for a bunch of modules.

I may try out the MarkX if I like what I hear.
(although the Salvation MarkUS clips sound amazing)
The MarkUS I had sounded nothing like what I heard.

Kinda goes back to my point about trying out a bunch of modded modules before you know which is best for you.

And so the addiction continues......

Here ya are...
http://www.jadedfaithmods.com/Media_Samples.html

Cool.

I'm still not sure I would get the MarkX after hearing those.
Sounded good, but so did a couple others.
The Trillogy sounds killer (already knew that)
The XMG+ is good but too scooped (maybe how he set it)
The modded Ultra lead sounds REAL good.

That's nice, 'cause Rob is modding my Ultra XL right now.
He's adding a 2-way gain switch, 3-way tight switch, 3-way mid switch, mid sweep pot and presence pot.

I believe it's the most options possible (and useful) on a mod.

I have high hopes for this mod because I already like the stock Ultra XL even against my best custom mods.
These options along with his base mod SHOULD make this one a winner.

I'll give a review after getting it. I think it may be something others here would like as well.
If it sounds killer, I'm taking the credit!
:lol:

grbassist said:
@audiomidijace

I haven't heard the MarkX yet other than youtube clips and quite frankly, they don't make me want to buy one.

In my opinion, none of the clips really do the JF mods justice.
Obviously what you listen to the clips on makes a big difference too.
I played a Triaxis and a Mark IV for quite a while and I think the MarkX covers those tones VERY well. The only way to know is to try one.
Pretty easy to sell if it's not for you.
And I COMPLETELY agree that the Triaxis can be a metal monster!

grbassist said:
That's nice, 'cause Rob is modding my Ultra XL right now.

Is Rob making you an Ultra Lead (VHT Pittbull) or just making you the ultimate Ultra XL?
I LOVE the stock ULTRA and XL! What Rob can do to improve on those is just amazing! I had him do a similar mod for me a couple of years ago.
The VHT Ultra Lead I'm NOT a fan of. More than anything I just want to make sure that you're both clear on what you're getting! I would hate for you to be expecting your Ultra XL tone and receive a VHT tone!
I hope you love it!

Duh!
I thought it was a modded Randall Ultra Lead
I forgot there's a new VHT "Ultralead" mod.
Maybe he shouldn't have named it the SAME name as a Randall module
:p

I'm getting a modded Ultra XL
I specifically told him not to alter the basic tone.

Anyway...the "Ultralead" module sounds good to me.
VHT Ultraled is another amp I love.

grbassist said:
Duh!
I thought it was a modded Randall Ultra Lead
I forgot there's a new VHT "Ultralead" mod.
Maybe he shouldn't have named it the SAME name as a Randall module
:p

I'm getting a modded Ultra XL
I specifically told him not to alter the basic tone.

Anyway...the "Ultralead" module sounds good to me.
VHT Ultraled is another amp I love.

Hello,

any info on the Ultra XL mod? Is it worth to do it?

I had a chance to compare a MarkV and a dual recto with my JF Erect and a Custom JF Mark V. I think the main difference is in the power amp of these amps. Rob highlighted that the essence of the Mark V extreme channel is in the drive of its power amp. I missed the power sag of the tube rectifier in case of the erect compared to recto. But. I love the sound of the 2 moduls, and I can make more brutal sound with these thanks to the missing low-mid thump of the recto and I could dial more fat but tight sound with jf markV.

What is the custom JF Mark V mod you had done? I find the Extreme setting to be straight up baffling. It's not extreme at all, especially compared to the IIC+ / IV settings. It has a bass heavy liquid lead feel to it.

I'm currently looking for a module to rival my V35's IIC+ / IV settings. From what I've heard, the old JF Mark X sounds closest.

This is actually a markIV lead sound. This is what I asked:

Dear JF, I need a modded mts module with the sound of the Mark V extreme sound, and if possible optionally the Mark IV lead channel. I can send an mts tweed module. Can you do the mod? I need nothing fancy like faceplate change or knobs change, I need only the sound. Please send me a quote if you are able to do it.

This was the reply:

What you are requesting can mostly be accomplished by a $109 Base Mod plus return shipping. The MKIV Lead setting is essentially what channel 3 of the MKV is. The Extreme setting is not possible. That mode makes changes to the power amp and has absolutely nothing to do with the preamp, which is what your module is in the equation.

It has passive V-EQ which I don't use, I use an external eq in the loop. The bass-mid-treble are pre-gain as in the original one. What I can say that it is more articulate than markV extreme setting (which I found muffled as well) and can be very tight and aggressive with proper bass adjustment.