Do I want a Camerock...or Shiver....or JJDirt....or what?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aside

Reaction score
Howdy - I'm new to this, looking for opinions.

I have a SYN-1, looking for a module that fits this bill:

- I'm in Australia and don't have a donor module so I think Salvation (or Synergy) is my better option
- I like bold mids, so am after a high gain modded Marshall rock sound, not metal. Not too scooped or aggressive in the upper mids. I guess Bogner, Friedman (Cantrell tone), but I'm getting mixed reports about the JJDirt.
- Tightish low end is good, but super tight not required
- I'm running into the FX return of a 1959 / 2203 so don't really need it to cover these tones.

It will likely sit along side a MarkUs and Salvado Deluxe, and possibly a Dumble type - that should cover everything I need.

Any and all suggestions and experiences welcomed... thanks.

Considering it'll be running alongside a MarkUs and Salvado, I'd go for a Shiver. Good tonal converge between the 3.

buriedorburned said:
Considering it'll be running alongside a MarkUs and Salvado, I'd go for a Shiver. Good tonal converge between the 3.

I've had different Shiver versions but never together with the JJ...I still own the JJ..since I have brighter tones covered in spades.

To my ears the JJ Dirt is a darker, more compressed version of the Shiver and that would make my recommendation the Shiver also..unless the darker flavour is preferred... but I know you've had a ton of modules too and I wouldn't;t want to mis-lead the guy asking.

Although I know this makes it harder, you should also throw Banned into the mix as it covers ground from across the spectrum you're looking for...

JJ is compressed mentioned more than the others and has a darker vibe but is quite responsive in the EQ to tweak whatever you may need...

Shiver is a great option....It's a chewy, woody kinda Marshall tone....Hard to describe for me but distinct and unique and AWESOME. One of my fave mods.....

Camerock is pretty bright but has tons of options for shaping that high end....More 80s in its sound than the others somehow....Which I also dig...

Bottom line is that you won't be disappointed by any of the above choices!

So I did what I knew I must - get a few :)

I grabbed a JJDirt and Camerock, really enjoying both. I don't find the JJ dark at all, it sounds spot on with my rig. Worked out well, I have one set up for my 80's riffage and one for 90's. Good times.

aside said:
So I did what I knew I must - get a few :)

I grabbed a JJDirt and Camerock, really enjoying both. I don't find the JJ dark at all, it sounds spot on with my rig. Worked out well, I have one set up for my 80's riffage and one for 90's. Good times.

Excellent, both fantastic modules! \m/