MTS Forum Forum Index
Discussion forum for Synergy, Egnater & Randall MTS Amps & Modules

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone using their Axe-Fx 2 as a cabsim?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTS Forum Forum Index -> Synergy Amps & Modules
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adamaaron
RM20

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:38 am    Post subject: Anyone using their Axe-Fx 2 as a cabsim? Reply with quote

hi there guys , i just purchased a SYN-2 with Morgan AC & HBE. They both sounds gooodddd but,
just curious am i connecting the right way with my SYN-2 to my AXE-FX.

My current setup is -
Guitar > SYN-2 Input
SYN-2 Main out L&R >
AXE FX II rear inputs L&R (for using the cab sim & FX only) >
AXE FX II XLRs out >
interface

is it right or not? because it sounds "muddy"/"overcompressed" when im playing my 8 string .
Confused Confused Confused
MusiciansFriend.com's Deal Center
keg8605
RM20

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you looking for post fx only? as in delay, verb and some modulation and of course a cab sim. If so, it sounds correct to me.
BigBubba
RM20

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone using their Axe-Fx 2 as a cabsim? Reply with quote

adamaaron wrote:
hi there guys , i just purchased a SYN-2 with Morgan AC & HBE. They both sounds gooodddd but,
just curious am i connecting the right way with my SYN-2 to my AXE-FX.

My current setup is -
Guitar > SYN-2 Input
SYN-2 Main out L&R >
AXE FX II rear inputs L&R (for using the cab sim & FX only) >
AXE FX II XLRs out >
interface

is it right or not? because it sounds "muddy"/"overcompressed" when im playing my 8 string .
Confused Confused Confused

You're missing a poweramp after the syn-2. The Axe FX II itself cannot provide pure poweramp simulations (you can use their amp models as pure preamps with sag set to zero, but there's no way to turn off the preamp simulation).

You could use poweramp and cab simulations inside your DAW by going directly into a hi-z input on your audio interface.
dinmonster
RM20

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Ax II Reply with quote

Couldn't you Just take Ax II amp mod out of the signal chain using layout and edit?
BigBubba
RM20

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Ax II Reply with quote

dinmonster wrote:
Couldn't you Just take Ax II amp mod out of the signal chain using layout and edit?

What do you mean with take out the amp mod? Do you mean to take the amp block out of the signal chain? Sure, you can do that. You can add or subtract any block inside the axe fx. The only problem being the lack of a power amp sim.

Right now, he's only using the preamp into the cab block of the axe fx ii and, while this might be a halfway reasonable option for clean tones, it's certainly not satisfying when it comes to overdriven and distorted tones.

There is, however, a possibilty I forgot to mention. A German IR shop (cabir.eu) provides IRs that are made using various tube poweramps instead of the usual highly linear solid state power amps that are used for the majority of IRs. I'm not sure if every cab pack features tube power amp IRs, your best bet is to contact the owner via mail. I think Ownhammer also sold some IRs shot with tube power amps, but that was a while ago.

That way, you could load such a poweramp IR into the cab block and be done with it. No need for an amp block that way.

I also read, that the generic tube pre model inside the amp block can be used as a reasonable substitute for isolated poweramp simualtions. That model has a vintage tonestack (it's linear and does not have an impact on the tone if all the dials are left at defautl) and an ideal tetrode in the poweramp tube menu. There you could change it to a 6L6 or an EL34 to simulate different poweramps.
dinmonster
RM20

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep just as I said...get the amp out of the chain.
I'm never satisfied with cab sims or direct recording anyway! And the good old feeling of finding the sweet spot in mic and placement adds to the experience. Robots pushing buttons for a 10-20 min time saving...or cross fades punches for lazy people who didn't practice their part. Hack and gag...lol....
muudrock
RM100

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use "tube preamp" model in the Axe and just leave all the preamp controls at default. This is a neutral preamp-tonally and gain wise, along with a power amp sim that you can tweak to your hearts desire-change tubes, sag, negative feedback, etc.
It works great with the modular system.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTS Forum Forum Index -> Synergy Amps & Modules All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: