Question for Dirty Shirley owners

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warmachine67

Reaction score
I have an HBE and am starting to think about a DS.

How does it compare to the HBE in terms of gain, tone, etc, or any other synergy module for that matter?

I’m trying to understand how it is different enough to be necessary for another dirty module, if that makes sense.

Many thanks.

The DS is unique, the original amp was designed with the jtm45 power section and the jcm 800 preamp in mind. The channels are voiced differently, unlike the BE or the HBE. Pretty much you can dial any classic rock sound and with the addition of the bright switches you can even get some VH tones if boosted correctly.

I haven't tried the HBE yet, but I have the BE and my DS just arrived Saturday. I didn't get to spend a ton of time with it over the weekend, but it seems just a bit more open/loose than the BE and the bright switches open up more options for how you want the top end to sound.

It's very different from the HBE; where the HBE is super compressed and narrow in the frequencies, the DS is open and dynamic with more in the top and bottom but less gain. The DS channel A can dial in a great clean tone.

MarcoR said:
It's very different from the HBE; where the HBE is super compressed and narrow in the frequencies, the DS is open and dynamic with more in the top and bottom but less gain. The DS channel A can dial in a great clean tone.

I currently have both modules and the above sums it up perfectly.