Synergy power tubes

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwikc4

Reaction score
really dissappointed the new synergy poweramps dont have el34's I wont buy one with 6l6

I don't mind 6L6s, but it's surprising they didn't include the external bias points from the MTS/MOD gear, and the ability to run different types of power tubes should one choose to. I'm going to guess that Egnater wasn't involved in the design of the power section, since he includes those features on just about all of his amps.

yeah, it was the thing that kept me in MTS but my rack is home based so I don't mind it's weight. I love having two channels with different power tubes. I'll guess the single space parameter kept that out.

it's a head scratcher. I think that is a must have mod for any amp, rack or otherwise but I heard it can't be fit

In my opinion, they threw in the towel on the Power Amp....The 6L6 thing is a tough sell to most of us....Especially when so many of the mods desire EL34s....One rack space is awesome though, too bad....

I don't mind the 6L6 power section at all, and I'm very much an EL34 amp kind of guy.

I did ask my amp guy if a mod to allow EL34 was possible and he couldn't see why not, although he has not looked under the hood and I have not really pursued it.

It was my understanding that the 5050 was originally intended to use EL34 but they switched to 6L6 due to reliability issues? Anyone know anything about that?

Dave Friedman has a show on you tube, he's stated more than once that EL34's are not reliable, and in one particular episode with Mike Soldano they both agreed on this. I guess he pushed for the SYN5050 to be 6L6 because of this.

EL34s are not reliable in Syn5050....Correct.....

My question is, did they tweak anything in the mods such as BE and HBE? The amps themselves are great but use EL34s....I own a BE100 and it's awesome, but would not sound the same if I modded it for 6L6s and I would NEVER want to...

Just curious....

So Fryette's approach and philosophy goes against most of our understanding on power amps/tubes and their overall effect on the tone. If you search his thoughts on the subject, he's gone into it a few times. The gist is the circuit is designed around the tube that it's intended to use; the tube doesn't dictate the sound, the circuit does. He designs his amps to be pleasing for guitar tones, so not flat but an appropriate curve for guitars. That's why he was the designer of the Synergy amp because it makes the most sense for this platform where many different preamp tones need to translate (and he already had a 1u power amp design).

I'd speculate his designs have tight tolerances hence only able to use a 6L6 where something like the RT2/50 can accept a broad range so you get a lot of character but at the expense or benefit of coloring your tone.

I don't have the SYN50/50 but I'm curious how it would compare to my 2502. One thing the 2502 has the 5050 doesn't is the voicing switch which I find very useful, especially when trying to get the right tone in some rooms.

I'm not sure how much I would be concerned about the tube selections impact on tone for the 5050 as much as knowing it a more reliable selection. Power amp tubes really are further down the list in the overall variables that affect your tone. Now speakers...