SYN1 + Old Modules Issues

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inoculuminati

Reaction score
I tried plugging in some of the old randall modules that work fine in my RM100 into my SYN-1 this weekend and noticed that some work, while others do not. The degree to which they do/do not work seems to to vary from module to module. All the synergy modules work perfectly though.

I'm wondering if I might have to add spacers or something to get the modules to work properly in the SYN-1 or if maybe there's just something wrong with the SYN-1. Has anyone else experienced something similar using the old modules in the synergy units?

I have a SYN2 and no Synergy modules, haven't found any issue.
The only difference is that the SYN2 makes the mods sound a bit brighter.

Sound like something might be wrong with the SYN-1 or maybe a few of your old mods.

I haven't used any Synergy mods with my SYN-1 as yet, and they've all worked fine. Both single and dual.

At least one run of the Randall PCBs are slightly shorter than usual so they may not be making good contact. A friend of mine has an MK22 that works great in his RM4 but doesn't work in his Syn-1.

I've got an older silverface clean randall module that does not even seat in my SYN2, other than that I've not had any issues.

Oh, I haven't tried a an old Silverface module in the SYN-1 as yet, can anyone confirm if this is an issue?

I've also emailed Rob JF to see what he knows about older modules.

buriedorburned said:
Oh, I haven't tried a an old Silverface module in the SYN-1 as yet, can anyone confirm if this is an issue?

I'm not sure it's all of them TBH - my clean is one of the first runs Randall did - I've got a silverface SL+ that works just fine.

webrthomson said:
buriedorburned said:

I'm not sure it's all of them TBH - my clean is one of the first runs Randall did - I've got a silverface SL+ that works just fine.

Definitely not all of them. Just one or two batches apparently.

webrthomson said:
buriedorburned said:

Is that an all silver face SL+ or silver face with black strip at the top?

Did some more troubleshooting tonight and the two problematic modules are both xtc (one stock one modded) modules.

The stock one has low volume whether in the rm100 or the SYN1, I think I just didn't notice it was so much lower on the rm100 because the master volume is not on a separate power amp and I would just turn it up.

The modded one works fine on the rm100, but on the SYN1 when seated regularly it sound like a clean channel and none of the knobs have any effect, but if I put pressure on the middle of the module it kicks on and sounds as it should with all the knobs functioning properly. I guess that one is just a tad short of where it needs to be.

buriedorburned said:
webrthomson said:
buriedorburned said:

Is that an all silver face SL+ or silver face with black strip at the top?

Both of the modules are full silverface ones (no stripe) the clean does not work the SL+ does - very odd :)

Randall had trouble with board sizes and fit issues randomly throughout the life of MTS. I don't know why things would change but they did. There may be a way to make them work but would require a tech to determine the issue first. The fault is the old modules, not the Synergy products.

Thanks for the confirmation Bruce. All the synergy modules work and sound excellent in my Syn1 and Syn2, so I'll definitely be favoring those when picking up any new modules. I passed up a 5150/6505 module this weekend because I heard there's a 6505 module in the works & would rather wait for that one \m/.

I ordered a couple transistors that I'm hoping might fix the volume drop issue for the stock xtc module & will just keep the rm100 handy for the modded one with the short board for now.